Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been reading a lot of good information here since I decided to buy a slingshot. The threads and discussions really have helped me formulate a plan to build the bike that I want, and when I say plan I mean more of a general direction. So I also figured why not do a build thread and see how that goes. It’s a first for me, but hey I need info and help along the way so why not!
A little about myself , I’m 47years old and grew up in a motorcycle family. Parents owned a bike shop so my youth was all about motorcycles. I remember the 1st time I saw a gsxr I was blown away. I needed one of those. Worked my ass off and was able to buy a used 88 in high school. That bike got stolen a couple years later and that’s the last I really thought of it. Been racing motocross since then and this year really got tired of the injuries adding up and holding me back. Finally decided to sell the dirt bikes and picked up an Aprilia rsv for some street riding and track days. Well after my 1st track day I was hooked. It was literally that night I started the search for a race bike. It started as your typical mid-2000’s 600 cc search but I came across the vintage racing scene and started looking at all the different classes. and I thought geez, I wish I had that old GSX-R from high school it would be perfect. And I remember seeing the Yoshimura endurance bikes and I felt like I could probably recreate something close enough to make those early dreams a reality. Plus I had unfinished business with my old 88. Now, I know I’m not going to make a Yoshimura race bike, but I can make it visually pretty close, I can make it handle descent enough, and I can make it a little bit faster than stock. And that’ll be everything I want out of this bike. I want to keep it close as I can to period correct. So I searched and found a 89 for sale. Seemed to be in descent enough shape by the pics and although it doesn’t run I was excited to get started. Problem was it was 7 hours away and I didn’t have a day off for 3 days and was worried it would be scooped up. So my lovely wife actually drove the 7 hours each way and bought it for me. I’m a lucky guy I know. So this is what she came home with.

So out of the box I know the brakes have problems. There is a replacement front master in the box of parts from a different bike and they aren’t working at all. So I’m sure there were some problems going on there. The rear master is off the bike, and no Speedo or tach on the bike, petcock off the bike but I do have it in parts and a couple other minor issues I can see looking over it quick. So the plan is over the next couple days to get this bike down to the frame, and get the top end apart to see what’s lurking inside. Should be fun!!!!

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,184 Posts
Welcome - nice to see some fresh meat out here with a project for us to follow. What is that 4 into 2 exhaust?

Looking forward to seeing her come together.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice! Looks like a great bike to start with. If you're going to run it at the track you're going to want to address the clearance issues. The stock exhaust will limit your ground clearance for sure. An after market rear shock with adjustable ride height would help too. Here's a great deal on a stainless Hindle exhaust, all you need to do is add a can: Hindle . When you pull the top end off, check the head for cracks that originate at the spark plug hole as they've been known to crack there. I'm building a similar bike for the track as well so it will be great to see your progress!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome - nice to see some fresh meat out here with a project for us to follow. What is that 4 into 2 exhaust?

Looking forward to seeing her come together.
Yes it’s a 4 into 2. I believe it’s the stock one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Looks like a great bike to start with. If you're going to run it at the track you're going to want to address the clearance issues. The stock exhaust will limit your ground clearance for sure. An after market rear shock with adjustable ride height would help too. Here's a great deal on a stainless Hindle exhaust, all you need to do is add a can: Hindle . When you pull the top end off, check the head for cracks that originate at the spark plug hole as they've been known to crack there. I'm building a similar bike for the track as well so it will be great to see your progress!
Thanks for the tips, that’s exactly why I decided to do this thread. I appreciate it!! The exhaust on there now is gotta go for sure. I will look at that hindle. I will check for the cracks in the head. Question on the aftermarket rear shock, I know the fox shock if I can even find one is stupid money, but can you recommend a good aftermarket shock that is a direct replacement? I must have read a hundred threads on the different shock options and besides conflicting advice they all kinda mash together for me at this point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you're looking to buy new, Penske is the way to go. I think GMD computrak Boston has the best deal ($990 I believe). A freshly rebuilt Fox in great condition is around $450+/-. You can find them for around $300 but they don't come up often and you'll put another $100 rebuilding it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a little progress today on the disassembly. Things so far are going well, I haven’t found any seized bolts or problems yet which is cool. So I don’t know if you can see it from the pic but on the motor from the cylinders up is a fairly fresh paint that is different from the stock. So my thought is if someone was going to paint the motor why just the top end? Idk, maybe I will luck out and find a fresh top end in the bike. Not sure what to think but gives me a little hope to find some nice shiny big bite pistons and new cams and valves. Lol.

I’m not sure if you can see what I mean from the pics. So basically the goal today was to remove most of the bolt on components of the bike and get the motor out.

Hopefully I will get a little more time in the garage tonight to work on getting the front end and swing arm off. I want to get the motor , and frame washed and sprayed with the pressure washer before it gets too cold here in the northeast !!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice progress! What part of the northeast are you from? I’m from Massachusetts and there’s another guy from Maine on here building bikes for track days next season. Who did you do your track day with?

·
Registered
1989 GSXR 750
19 Posts
Cool project! 7 hours, must be love.
I have been known to drive a bit to get a project or 2.
Keep posting on this special build.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Good luck with it mate! You sure have hooked in! I'm doing up an 87 model and it has been going since November last year!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had to work yesterday but was able to degrease and clean up the frame today.

I think it came out pretty good. I have to keep telling myself it doesn’t have to be restoration quality because I am going to race this bike but my OCD doesn’t comply sometimes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back at it again, it’s been a while. Haven’t been able to do much work on the bike until this week. The past month or so has been nothing but working overtime. This Covid thing hit my job hard and basically there was barely enough guys to keep staffing up, so it’s been basically countless days in a row working a day off and then back at it. But, that has allowed me to spend some money and collect parts for the project. So let’s see, I’ve purchased inverted front end, billet triple trees, a new rebuilt motor, another frame, 5.5 inch wheel set, 92 swingarm, Acc rear sets and endurance gas cap, air tech yoshimura fairings, and countless other goodies. I’m at the point now where I’ve got enough of the parts together to start building this thing without any foreseeable delays waiting for parts.
I installed the new rebuilt motor I bought from Mark (RRP on here ?). Pretty straight forward and not to difficult.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the hindle headers and oil cooler. I kept the oil cooler original but plan changing the oil cooling to something different next winter. Maybe adding a remote cooler under the tail section but something to provide additional cooling.

Then came the headache of the front end. Not knowing to much about front end swaps I read a little bit and saw that all the oiler inverted front ends were a direct bolt on. Well I didn’t realize I purchased a 1100 inverted and the bar mounts were on top of the upper triple blah blah. So I bought 750 inverted forks and what was supposed to be the right trees for those but the trees weren’t the right size for the forks. Ughhh
So I sized the fork tubes and ended up buying the billet triples for them. Lesson learned but very frustrating

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a 5.5 inch wheel set that were white and decided to paint them black. I will end up powder coating them next winter but for now the black paint looks descent.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cleaned up the swingarm and linkage. Bearings were all good just a cleaned them and regressed everything. I ended up installing the bmw s1000 rear shock and it looks like it’s going to be a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And that’s basically how she sits today. The slicks are here so tomorrow I’m bringing the wheels and tires to the shop and mounting them so hopefully tomorrow night It will be a proper rolling chassis. More Pics tomorrow cheers!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More progress on the bike, installed the wheels and brake set ups. Pretty straight forward. The original rear brake arm just a little bit but a little bit of heat and C-clamps and I was able to put a slight bend in the arm to clear the tire and in the end it looks factory. Bled the brakes and that was easy but the next morning the rear brake was leaking fluid out of both bleeders on the caliper and also the banjo bolt. Tightened those up and no more leaks but I’m not very happy with the way the bleeders feel. I thought that they were tight enough not to leak, so I don’t see why it wants to be over tightened .... something to keep and eye on. A friend helped me run all the original wiring and we were able to look at old pics and the manual and eventually figure out where everything is supposed to be routed. I had to move the started relay from underneath the battery box to the front of the battery box because of the bmw rear shock. Plenty of room because not running air box. I ran the wires and installed the dyna 2000 ignition. Seems to be an easy install. Put the new Cdi on the subframe in the space where the rear seat would go. It’s temporarily held in with wire ties but once the air tech fairings arrive and get mounted I will make permanent mounting bracket to hold it in place. Installed the chain and sprockets (520 conversion). And also tonight installed the Mikuni carbs. What a pain in the but that was. With the old intake rubbers and the cold winter weather they did not want to budge. Finally after many attempts and using a heat gun I was able to get them into the intake rubbers. And that’s basically how she sits. The plan for this weekend is to finish the wiring , hook up a fuel bladder and fire it up. Fingers crossed she fires up and I can at least get an initial sync done to the carbs.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts