Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the market for a semi auto .22, so far i narrowed it down to 4 choices, and they are marlin model 60, remington 597, savage model 64f, and the mossberg 702, i plan on doing small game hunting with it, and i would like to set it up for 100yrds with a scope, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
ruger 10 22.

my brother had a model 60 and sold it cause well it was good and all but some ammo it didnt like.
the 597 i heard has some problems with the same thing as well.
dont know about the two others

the reason i say the 10 22 is because well you can do all sorts of things with them. Stocks and every you name it

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts
As mentioned, the 10/22 is going to have the biggest aftermarket following. The model 60 is some how claimed as the highest selling. A buddy had one & it was pretty nice. Personally I do not like the aesthetics of the Savage model 64f, and the Mossberg 702, but that is personal preference. Looks like your looking for a simi-auto, but if a bolt gun is your fancy, a ruger 77/22 is very nice once costumed out. But as mentioned, best all around with ultimate aftermarket support = 10/22

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I have a mossberg 702 and have never had any problems with it. I have probably put 1000 rounds through it and cant remember it ever jamming. Pretty decent cheap .22

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think im gunna go with the remington, did a quick google search and read on some of the forums alot of guys say the rem is more accurate then the 10/22, yes i know the ruger has alot more in the aftermarket world but i dont plan on changing anything on the .22 just add a scope and sling, thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Marlin model 60 hands down

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
why is that?
Ive had a marlin 60 since I was 10 years old, it will STILL put one in and out of the ears of a squirrel. I will never change that gun. I have a brand new one now also, because I like them so much, no jams, and the most accurate semi auto 22 ive ever shot.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Ive had a marlin 60 since I was 10 years old, it will STILL put one in and out of the ears of a squirrel. I will never change that gun. I have a brand new one now also, because I like them so much, no jams, and the most accurate semi auto 22 ive ever shot.

...I wouldn't take $1000 for my marlin 60. Absolutely love shooting squirrels with it. Very accurate, and I'm very confident with it.

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
...I wouldn't take $1000 for my marlin 60. Absolutely love shooting squirrels with it. Very accurate, and I'm very confident with it.
Shogun, I am mainly a handgunner, and hunted squirrels and rabbits with handguns. The OP is talking about 100 yds with the 22 Long Rifle cartridge. Does the 22 rifle pack that much at 100yds?? Just curious..

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Shogun, I am mainly a handgunner, and hunted squirrels and rabbits with handguns. The OP is talking about 100 yds with the 22 Long Rifle cartridge. Does the 22 rifle pack that much at 100yds?? Just curious..
Enough for coyotes and varmints at 100yds:cheers Ive shot rabbits at 200 yards with my 22 with a centerpoint scope and aguila ammo:cheers

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
^ nice write up:cheers

·
Anyone want to do a trackday or go camping?
39,561 Posts
How much does a decent 22 go for? I go to the desert dirt bike riding quite often and usually take my 1911 to shoot targets but after reading this article linked above I would love to pick up a 22. Any idea how much I would be looking at? Which one should I go with and semi auto or bolt action?

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
How much does a decent 22 go for? I go to the desert dirt bike riding quite often and usually take my 1911 to shoot targets but after reading this article linked above I would love to pick up a 22. Any idea how much I would be looking at? Which one should I go with and semi auto or bolt action?
The model 60 is a semi auto, and deadly accurate. Its tube fed, and very reliable. It costs about 200+ or -. Very affordable. Bolt actions are said to be more accurate, and I agree with certain rifles. But I would argue with 2 out of the box guns on a 22. I can hit the exact same thing the guy next to me with a bolt action STANDARD rifle is hitting.

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
The model 60 is a semi auto, and deadly accurate. Its tube fed, and very reliable. It costs about 200+ or -. Very affordable. Bolt actions are said to be more accurate, and I agree with certain rifles. But I would argue with 2 out of the box guns on a 22. I can hit the exact same thing the guy next to me with a bolt action STANDARD rifle is hitting.
i have a marlin 781t the tube fed bolt action as well as the 780 i think bolt action clip fed. Id say they just as fun to shoot as the 60.

Throw on the bushnell rimfire scope with a set of good rings and im nailing everything:chucks

·
Rookie
1,401 Posts
I have a Marlin 60, 702 plinkster and a 77/22. I would still suggest the ruger 10/22, but every one of the guns you have on your list is great. I personally like detachable magazines because if you are going to carry one for grouse hunting in my state its a pain to load and unload a tube fed when transporting on a quad or pickup. But I use mine for hunting and tend to see a lot of grouse on the roads and its illegal to carry a loaded gun when hunting.

But thats my reasons for liking the detachable magazines over tube fed in particular. I can't argue one shooting better than the other because I can hit anything with any one of them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
25 Participants
Kentucky Fried Cholo
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing