Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the spark plugs in the 750 tonight and in the process pulled two of the wires from the boot ends. I put them back the best I could.

The bike had not been started in quite some time and I did not try to jump it before doing the plugs. I do not know if what I did is keeping it from starting or if it just wasn't going to start.

The battery was/is completely dead and I tried to jump it using the Rodeo and some cables. It would not start. Will a completely dead battery stop abike from starting? I mean this thing is DEAD, I don't think there was any fluid in this battery.

Am I going to have to replace the whole coil and plug wires or can the wires be redone separately and generally how can I get this bike to start?

Also if anyone in Austin can figure out how and can help me get this thing home I would REALLY appreciate it. I don't have a lot of cash, but I can always come up with a 12 pack!!!

I think I am getting in too deep....

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
no, even if you had a dead battery, jumping from a car battery should still allow the bike to run.

the plug wires may not be seated correctly in the plug boots - you need to 'screw' them in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not sure if this'll help, but when the booster cables are hooked up do you have power (i.e. lights, etc.)??? If so, then the problem might be your clutch/starter interlock switch. That's the safety doins that prevents the bike from even trying to start if the clutch lever isn't pulled in. You may want to try bypassing it by following the wires that come out of the clutch pod to under the tank. They join with connectors to two other wires down there. Just unplug them and plug the two wires under the tank together, bypassing the circuit.

Worth a try - my 86 wouldn't crank either till I fixed this.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Does the starter motor even begin to turn, or is it COMPLETELY dead.

My starter was completely dead. Traced every component in the electrical starter circuitry. Turns out it was down to crap in the clutch lever switch. Cleaned that out and it worked a charm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounded like the starter motor was engaging to me. I think I had the wires screwed back in pretty good, so I don't know. I guess I just need to figure out how to get it home.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
it sounds like you would be best getting someone to take it home for you in a van or on a trailer.
My guess is that if it does start it might not be safe to ride anyway.
If it's been stood for so long the clutch might not release straight away, brakes are possibly seized and it might not ride too well.

I would get it home and strip it down, check that everything is safe and then enjoy with no worries.

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts