Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The pump issue is probably down to the subloom, the connectors under the lhs ram air duct are well known for corroding ( especially the yellow block connector ), heat from the radiator & under the ram air not the best. Clean them all then plenty of dielectric grease to keep moisture out..
The 98 cct is just an older version ( smaller looking ) of the 99 with same issues.
Manual cct such as ape is the only way to protect against cct failure and a ruined engine.
you see how the ape end is metal? And the stock one has that thing in the end?

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
The ape one is old fashioned in design, but mechanical and when you use a quality one like ape ( there are cheap ones but prefer ape quality ), there is not anything to fail. Unlike the auto ones where they back off\get lazy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The ape one is old fashioned in design, but mechanical and when you use a quality one like ape ( there are cheap ones but prefer ape quality ), there is not anything to fail. Unlike the auto ones where they back off\get lazy.
would i need to put something on the end of the ape ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, brand new to the forum, and new to a gsxr. I have a 1999 gsxr750 I just picked up for 1700. I charged the battery, replaced a leaking fuel line, and when I let the bike sit in the garage and idle for a few minutes it starts making this crazy noise. I haven’t done an oil change yet, it has been sitting for over a year, but it runs great aside from this noise it makes randomly. If I shut the bike off and turn it back on noise goes away, I took a video. It’s about 45 seconds, I can’t post it here so I just posted it on YouTube. Link is below

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok definitely sounds like cam chain slap, is it low on oil, does it have manual or automatic chain tensioner, I wouldn’t ride or run it until you sort it out 👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok definitely sounds like cam chain slap, is it low on oil, does it have manual or automatic chain tensioner, I wouldn’t ride or run it until you sort it out 👍
I understand. I have the stock automatic CCT. It definitely is the problem. My question now, is when I get the ape cam chain tensioner in the mail, do I need to put anything into it before I install it into the bike? I have already read the other posts about installing the cct, but they do not clarify if something needs to be added to the APE CCT in order to install it, as the ends that go into the engine look very different on the stock vs manual ape tensioner.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I understand. I have the stock automatic CCT. It definitely is the problem. My question now, is when I get the ape cam chain tensioner in the mail, do I need to put anything into it before I install it into the bike? I have already read the other posts about installing the cct, but they do not clarify if something needs to be added to the APE CCT in order to install it, as the ends that go into the engine look very different on the stock vs manual ape tensioner.
Only thing you will need is a new gasket for the cct, the tensioner is fitted as is straight from the packet.
And two cable ties ( some try to cheat, very risky ), cam cover off, time her up & cable tie the timing chain to the sprockets to stop any movement ( you may have already read this,but just in case ).

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it is the cam chain, why isn't it doing it all the time? I'd be tempted to whip the stator cover off and make sure nothing has come loose. Can you isolate where it's coming from with a stethoscope or even a screwdriver in the ear?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If it is the cam chain, why isn't it doing it all the time? I'd be tempted to whip the stator cover off and make sure nothing has come loose. Can you isolate where it's coming from with a stethoscope or even a screwdriver in the ear?

if something came loose, wouldn’t it be doing it all the time though? I see how the tensioner makes sense being automatic and probably intermittently bad, they’re supposedly known to fail when returning throttle to idle quickly, and that’s kind of what I do to make it happen so. But on a good note, I swapped in a newer radiator and radiator fan, clutch, and coolant reservoir. Now I have no leaks, and everything is just going great, just need to get a manual cct from APE, and I guess dedicate a good hour or two to it since I’m going to have to pop the valve cover off.. (dissapointment) lol I don’t want to work on it, I just want to ride it!

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
if you have a dowel bout 24" long like a broom handle cut in half you put the rounded end in your ear then place the other end on the motor various areas, starter cover, clutch, stator, timing chain cover, CCT, valve cover, so on so forth, it's a poor man's stethoscope and does really work pretty good, it helps you isolate areas very quickly.. to me it sounded like when the starter gear gets caught spinning on the detent when it's installed improperly?

real hard to tell on video, you can walk around and hear which side it loudest to isolate.. automatic CCT it can be intermittent like that.. is all worth the learning acquired..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts