Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sounds good! I think you had everything. The boots were a pain to remove I cutted with the dremel a big flat slot to put breakbar on them:rolleyes:Be sure to switch the gear position senzor from the FI (3 cables instead of 2 on carbs) , water thermostat housing from FI and you should be good to go!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks @sradmad600! I should be able to finish this work this weekend. If you have any tips or advice for the timing, let me know.
I'll post pics of the process and the bike !
This should help you along.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just finished installing the timing chain, and do the timing. With all the posts and the manual it was pretty easy, the only problem I had was with the stock tensionner. I only made a few turn on the spring so that the mounting screw could engage a few threads and then I screw it all the way in place with my allen wrench. The timing chain was really really tight because of that. I removed the tensionner and turned the piston all the way in so that i could screw the 2 mounting bolts on the engine by hand before applying tension on the chain.
I hope I didn't damage anything by putting too much tension on the chain!?

With this tensionner do I need to check/adjust the tension on the chain ?

Other than that everything went pretty good, I turned the engine by hand a few times everything was smooth and i checked the timing again 2 times.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
you might consider an APE manual cam chain tensioner.. makes real good sense, if not insure that's the upgraded auto tensioner, there was either a recall or service bulletin on that one if I remember right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just finished installing the timing chain, and do the timing. With all the posts and the manual it was pretty easy, the only problem I had was with the stock tensionner. I only made a few turn on the spring so that the mounting screw could engage a few threads and then I screw it all the way in place with my allen wrench. The timing chain was really really tight because of that. I removed the tensionner and turned the piston all the way in so that i could screw the 2 mounting bolts on the engine by hand before applying tension on the chain.
I hope I didn't damage anything by putting too much tension on the chain!?

With this tensionner do I need to check/adjust the tension on the chain ?

Other than that everything went pretty good, I turned the engine by hand a few times everything was smooth and i checked the timing again 2 times.
You should be good to go.You had to put a lot of pressure to damage something so probably your fine. You should also consider the APE Tensioner as TwistedMister advised you.If your engine is still apart its easy to fit and do a safer job (but need maintenance)as the Original was faulty and even after the recall the problem wasn't solved. I'm still waiting for my had gasket because here its Easter and are delays in delivery🤬.While I was bored this weekend I painted all my engine covers ,decontamimate and polish all my screws ,decarb: pistons and valves and lapping. And also made the intake boots perfectly fit the intake port because were slightly not aligned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
16177171173577363182323686490994.jpg

Did anybody had the problem with 3 out of for oil holes missing on a need gasket? Its normal or is manufacturing fault?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow great job on that engine, it looks very clean. I'll have a look at my old head gasket when I come home and let you know if I have the same holes pattern

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow great job on that engine, it looks very clean. I'll have a look at my old head gasket when I come home and let you know if I have the same holes pattern
Thank you! I was just prepared to tighten the head because I found some vague info that its ok but i will wait.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thank you! I have also 2 old ones (original I supose) which are the same like your. Aparently there is a production mod to help holding more oil in the cylinder.Found some guys on the forum that used it succesfuly (the model that i have)on street and track so I will give it a go!

·
Registered
13 Posts
interesting! Good news is that you wont have to wait to get your bike running.
I finished installing my engine yesterday, I still need to cap the unused ports on the air box from the 2nd air system. I fired the engine real quickly yesterday but I noticed a leak from the gas cap when it ran, seems like the fuel return line pushes the fuel at the top of the tank. I've hooked the 2 drain/breather hoses on the tank. I'll double check all my fuel, vaccum and vent lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Everything seems to run pretty good now, I've capped the unused ports and fixed my leaking gas cap (dumb me plugged the fuel return hose on the vent port). I just need to put everything back together and go for a ride!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I also manage to mount the engine last night till 3 am.Today i had connect everything and went for a short ride whitout fairing and man the new engine is sweet🚀🚀🔥. And the gearbox fell very solid and unmolested, not like other 2 engines that I swaped this spring😅, until now no leaks, but i will keep check tomorow when i will go for a longer drive

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I wanted to ask you about the plug under the tank( where are the 3 plugs next to eachother. Middle is the fuel line , right is the drain and lèft ??? Where is going. In the manual i found somtheing about the pair system but im not sure and can't remember if it was a plug there and didnt find anything unpluged anywhere

21 - 40 of 54 Posts