Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have an 99 gsxr 750 with an blown engine valves and pistons gone .couldn't source a 98-99 engine but I found some 96-97 and after some research I decided to do the conversion. Since the info its splited and not full . I wanted to check if I'm right. I take the 96-97 engine keep all electronics , throttle body's with injectors and air box. Put inside my 99 cam shafts and holder (set timing, ignition trigger , valve cover with sensor, change crank sensor, thermostat housing and fuel pump and that should all I think. Maybe I'm missing something?

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
don't you have to use the FI head to have the cam angle sensor? hmm, the TB's bolt up to the carb boots or hows that work? you might have to gut em and swap, other may have tried this, keep us updated

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new engine is in. Just starting to put the stuffs together allready placed the Fi boots and termostat housing! From what I know its not necessary to change the head just the cover because the cam sensor its place on the cover( just observed that the carb cover has the place for the sensor so with so milling you could adapt and sensor in the carb model)When I open the valve cover I put the engine in TDC and observe that the cams are slightly rotated to the left one tooth from the position from the manual I droop some pics my you can give me your opinion if this is the correct way they should be and instal the new ones( from the injected model) or place them as the manual shows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Instagram: 750gixxerRebuild#SRAD
For pictures. I couldn't upload here so this was an quick option🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
dint see any cam timing pics but you want to degre them in with a tool, the manual goes over this, also youtube videos, usign this bike I think I saw? I think Hunt has a write up in the stickies, no?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
After a trip to home country I back and in 2 days I managed swap the carb engine. Next parts were swaped from the injection engine to the carb engine:
-intake cam (Decided to keep the exhaust cam from carb because it had less wear)
  • ignition gear ( they are different, the injection is 8-10 degrees back)
  • valve cover ( you can use also carb cover if you modiffy it)
  • starter motor
  • air box
  • water termostat housing
  • intake boots
  • I also used the intake side cam chain sliders because it has a metal plate on the back
  • speed senzor (injection- 3 wires /carb 2 wires)
  • Ape manual cct

Meanwhile did an front brake calipers rebuild.New brembo discs and pads are on the way. Also Supension sag and adjustment , swing arm bearings servicing and shock check. Chain cleaning and adjustment. Tighte n every nut and bolt at manual given torque So with the new engine in bike should ride like a champ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Allready put 3000km on the clock and it runs great . I readjust the cam chain tensioner because as my first manual adjuster and previous experience with the chain jumping I was to afraid to not let it to loose and thigten it to much. Now its all good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you! Unfortunately the engine I swaped was faulti had a piston conroad lose and piston detonate. The garage that I bought the engine send me another for replacement. I start tear it down compleatly and check everything , gaskets, valve job etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in the process of doing the same swap to my 1999 SRAD,<
I'm not sure to understand the part about the injection camshaft. Do you need to use the camshaft from the FI or you can use the one from the carb?
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You need the intake camshaft from the FI because it has an pin on the end which is readed by the senzor from valve cover. You also need the valve cover from FI because of the senzor. Ignition plate need to be swaped also which is a pain in the ass if you dont remove the head( its posible but you have to squeze the fix cam chain sliders agains the case so you can take the chain of the gear.If you need info or pics let me know . I have everything open and on the table

·
Registered
13 Posts
I worked on the engine yesterday
-Swapped the speed sensor 2 phillips bolt, easy replacement.

-Swapped Intake boots, the carb boots allen bolts were frozen, sprayed a little penetrant oil on them and had to bang a torx socket on them and turn while banging in order to free them, eventually they all came loose and I didn't have to drill any.

-Swapped the ignition gear without removing the head) as you said it was a bit of a pain to do with the head in place:
Remove starter cover
Remove starter clutch (if you don't have the tool just put a rag between teh starter gear and the starterc clutch do unscrew the bolt on the crank)
Unscrew both chain guards, remove chain tensioner, remove both camshaft and top chain guard, take the chain off.
Pry the fixed chain guard to take off the gear. Put the 99 ignition gear on the shaft (align both punched mark).

I still need to put everything back together and do the timing properly. and that's gonna be pretty much ready to put back in the frame.

Is there anything else I need to do?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts