Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 gsxr 600
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nothing happens when i go to start my bike. it just blows the fuse. i seperated the already shady wires in the harness and looked up and down for a short and cant seem to find it. i went to put a jumper wire in place of the 30 amp main and when i turned the key i immediately saw smoke coming from the jumper wire ( instead of 30 amp fuse) . Can someone tell where my short is besides my brain or explain in human how to start testing with my dmm.

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
harness looks toast, you have to painstakingly go over every wire for continuity and leaks or breaks, so do the continuity beep test, then do a leak test, ohms, if its leaking means it has a short so you need a good multi meter that does leak testing, an ammeter..

you touch one end of the wire to ground and the other to the meter with alligator clips and a length of wire to reach ground, should read "00" no voltage, if it has voltage means its leaking or grounding out.. you can use a multi meter too..

maybe just get a new harness?

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I’d go with repairing the harness, it isn’t too bad once you remove it from the bike .

You run the risk of ruining a brand new harness if you do not find your short. If the short is within your ignition and on that side of the wiring and don’t fix it, you could melt a new harness. Typically the 30a fuse is hard to blow, something is obviously shorted and is after the relay since your not blowing the fuse when you immediately put it in.

I’ve only blown the 30a fuse from putting the battery in backwards like an idiot, or the one time I had a short in the left hand horn/headlight/choke wiring. My short was half way up and due to pinching the wires between the frame and fairing, no evidence of problem on the yellow plug.....

If you cannot trouble shoot to pinpoint the short and wiring problems, either learn how, or pay someone else to do it. Part cannoning, and replacing parts unknowingly will end up costing a fortune.... avoid shops who function in this manner....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts