Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, is there anything i should look for in a 98TLR? I found out the hard way about the 2nd gear problem in my 750. what about the TLR? anything I should be warry of? It has roughly 19000 miles on it. Aftermarket exhaust, steering dampner, and some carbon fiber dress up parts. paint and body are clean as a whistle. guy wants 4700.

i know i am asking fans of the tiller, but what am i looking at top end in this bike with stock gearing?
Is there a reson you would NOT get a Tiller? Is It still a fast hell deamon? or, am i going to notice a LARGE performance drop from the gixxer?

can i still wheelie in second and third?

i don't do track days, and i need something i can whip around and thru traffic. Should I just go with another Gixxer? OR should i enter the world of the Tiller?

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
top end is comparable to that of a 750, as far as problems there isn't any really, those motors are bullet proof and everythingelse is minor, the tilers are notorious for busting a counter shaft seal, but that is a quick fix that you can do on your own.... everything else is fine

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sniff, thanks!!

i love the look, sound, and i'm gonna go ride it today, and maybe buy tomorrow.

i'm nervous, but, excited. i love being different, and when there are NO tillers around here, and everyone is riding something from the past 5 years.

other question, is aftermarket. How extreme can you get on one of these? i don't wanna put 10 grand into it, but for a minor investment, say 2-5K? can you bore them out? c

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
sniff, thanks!!

i love the look, sound, and i'm gonna go ride it today, and maybe buy tomorrow.

i'm nervous, but, excited. i love being different, and when there are NO tillers around here, and everyone is riding something from the past 5 years.

other question, is aftermarket. How extreme can you get on one of these? i don't wanna put 10 grand into it, but for a minor investment, say 2-5K? can you bore them out? c
you can do alot for 5 k and can make the bike handle like a dream, first a shock then re-do the forks both can be done for about $1200 then throw whatever else you want to it, the thrick is to make it lighter....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah. Well, i rode it, and it wasn't my bag. which sucks, cause i like'd the bike, but i'unno, it just felt unsteady. maybe i rode a broken one, or one that had some issues. who knows. all i know is, i am the PROUD owner of a 2k2 cbr954RR.

good stuff it is, but i know that's for a different forum!!

i still have mad respect for the Tiller, i guess i'm just not a v twin guy? Oh well. i'd be proud to ride with the TL any day, just not on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts