Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 98 GSXR750. It has a full titanium header and carbon fibre can. The guy sold it to me and said that the choke must be left in the mid position to keep the bike running. Sure enough, if you close the choke the engine will die, but the engine runs fine with the choke set around half open. The bike does not have a power commander or anything else on it to remap the ECM, although I belive the bike did have a power commander on it but the guy removed it before selling it to use on another bike. Anyway, is this choke problem being caused by the lack of no remapping of the ECM,and the bike thinks it has a stock header and can, or is there an actual problem with the choke?

Many thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
It could be the choke, but it's probably the throttle bodies. Take off the tank and airbox, and spray some throttle body cleaner into each one while you turn the throttle back and forth to move the butterflys.
If it still won't idle after that, it might need to have the TBs synced.
Also, it could just be that the idle is set way too low. It should idle smoothly at 1200rpm. If it is just dying as soon as you turn off the choke, try turning the idle adjuster (on the left side fairing just above the coolant resivoir) I think clockwise will turn the idle up, but you might have to try both directions.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
The 98 750 is a Fi bike... There is no choke... The "choke" lever that you move is a idle advancer. If you turn it off anb the bike dies your idle is set to low. With it on does the bike idle ok? smooth? does it surge? does it ride fine?

I would first start witht he idle, under your left leg, between the bodywork and the frame there should be a black nob just above the coolent over flow. Turn it clockwise for higher idle...

John

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts
yeah. try setting the fast idle lever up by your clutch to the off position and then adjust the idle knob down by your coolant resevior.. get it so that your bike is idling around 1200 rpms.. i believe you turn the knob clockwise to increase rpms.

if the bike won't stay running at around 1200 rpms.. you have some other problems.

[ 06-03-2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Hunter ]

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
The 98 750 is a Fi bike... There is no choke... The "choke" lever that you move is a idle advancer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ummmm . . . I knew that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 98 750 is a Fi bike... There is no choke... The "choke" lever that you move is a idle advancer. If you turn it off anb the bike dies your idle is set to low. With it on does the bike idle ok? smooth? does it surge? does it ride fine?

I would first start witht he idle, under your left leg, between the bodywork and the frame there should be a black nob just above the coolent over flow. Turn it clockwise for higher idle...

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike runs just fine with the idle advancer set midway, holds RPM just fine! If I close off the idle advancer the RPM just drops off and the bike stalls. I will adjust the idle and let all know what happens....

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I would be willing to put money on it that your idle is just to low... From what you are saying....

John

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
mine was stumble-bumming low also and it took several full turns of that knob to reach an acceptable level (1000 min)

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts
I would be willing to put money on it that your idle is just to low... From what you are saying....

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yep. i'd concur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts