Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I'm new to the forum and will take the time to introduce myself later, but I need to address the main reason that I am posting here first. I recently aquired a 98 GSXR 750 track bike. It is experienceing multiple problems which may or may not be related. I'll list the problems so that any of you can look them over and see if you have any ideas what the issues may be. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

First off, let me tell you that most of the issues appear to be intermittant, yet when one acts up, they all do.

1: the bike appears to be running really really rich. The plugs are totally coated in black carbon "fuzz" as is the exhaust tip.

2: The idle is funky. It appears to idle smooth, but it will idle at 1000 rpm, then i take it for a short spin and bring it back and it is idleing at 4000 rpm. I back down the idle adjust to get it right, then back for a spin, and when i bring it back the idle is borderline stall or it does stall. then I have to adjust it back up.

3: It seam so be banging the rev limiter at 9000 or 10000 rpm. Seems a bit low, but the tach may just be off. I'm not used to this bike, so my ear cant tell me whether it is truly 9000 rpm.

4: The main issue.... when the problems do act up, I get incredibly bad throttle response and near total loss of power. You roll on the throttle and it will just hit what feels like a dead spot where it seems to stuble and sputter, but its no flat spot...its a frigging crater. Once you hit the sputter point, you can crack the throttle further and further and further but it just sits and sputters. Let it off, then it iddles and you can play with the throttle again...its really kinda crazy.

Cause its a track bike, nobody (dealers or shops) wants to work on it. I did the diagnostic and got no error codes even though every now and then i get the FI light and the "CHEC" in the display.

Any ideas guys.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
ok get the bike running and if/when the FI light "CHEC" comes on, put the bike in dealer mode (white connector under the tail on the left side). DONT turn off the bike first or you'll lose the code

for more info on dealer mode, do a search or go to the Y2K forum there is a big post at the top of that forum

get the error code and post back...

rev limiter is around 14.5K dude.... is it the stock tach?

you probably need to adjust the TPS as well...

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Check your cam timing... Do you have the book for the bike?? If not get one there is a guy on here that sells OEM books for 30 bucks..

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Except he hasn't been replying to my damm emails!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
That doesnt sound like him..

John

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
1) get your manual (oem) from the following...

Riggs Kwong E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

2) use these for reference...

3) quick list of codes....

c00- no error
c11- CMP sensor
c12- CKP sensor
c13- IAP sensor
c14- TP sensor
c15- ECT sensor
c21- IAT sensor
c22- AP sensor
c23- TO sensor
c24- IG signal #1 and #4
c25- IG signal #2 and #3
c31- GP switch
c32- FI signal #1
c33- FI signal #2
c34- FI signal #3
c35- FI signal #4
c41- FP control system
c42- IG switch signal

[ 07-31-2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: eSeMeS750WX ]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the help so far guys. I'm going to put some time in this weekend working on the bike. I'll check the timing and check the codes while its running. I was shutting it off and restarting in dealer mode, so i was losing the error codes. I have a clymer manual not a dealer one. I'll check over what you guys have said so far. Thank you very much for your help guys, You have no idea how much my track days mean to me, and I dont want to have to miss one. I have one with NESBA at Pocono in 2 weeks so I need to get this all sorted out. I'll post my results back on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Check your cam timing... Do you have the book for the bike?? If not get one there is a guy on here that sells OEM books for 30 bucks..

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does it begin to sputter around 4000 to 5000 rpm. My bike does the same thing, still haven't been able to figure it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a comment... if it were the cam timing chain, wouldnt that cause a consistent problem if it would run at all. I mean I've rebuilt a few car engines and one tooth off will give you a very bad (consistant) problem

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Bro, I had a similar problem except mine happened at 5500 rpm. It acted like a rev limiter. I checked the cam timing and I had skipped 3 teeth on the exhaust cam. Everyone on the forum was extremely helpful(thanks again all). My POS auto cct failed so I put in the APE manual one and all seems well!! Check it out.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by ThePitVipr:
Just a comment... if it were the cam timing chain, wouldnt that cause a consistent problem if it would run at all. I mean I've rebuilt a few car engines and one tooth off will give you a very bad (consistant) problem
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes it would be all the time at the same points in RPM.. On mine.. the EX cam jumped one tooth each time it did it... And this would still let the bike make normal power up till about 6-7K (it has been almost two years since the problem so I dont remember the exact RPM) then it was like it would only run on 2 cyl... After the re-time it ran great again..

John

·
Registered
358 Posts
Apart from all these things the guys are telling you which are probably all true check the Map the bike has in the PCII if it has a Power Commander that might be one of your problems also. I have the same problem with mine on the sputtering thing at 4500 RPM but the rest is incredibly strong, but I also know my Map is off and I have to remap. Also since the bike is a track bike it might have adjustable cam sprockets and if those dont have the right timing they will give you major problems. Now if its these types of problems I am not sure but I am sure it will give you problems. Cam Timing is crucial!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I agree... What I am telling is going from a stock motor... or very few mods...

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts