Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, y'all, I just replaced the OEM ACCT and replaced it with an APE cam chain tensioner and I'm having some trouble. I know I'm not supposed to adjust it while the bike is running so what I did was tightened it finger tight and let it run for a brief second and tightened it again and so forth. My question is, how much tension is needed for it to be tensioned properly? Are you not suppose to hear the cam chain or just a slight amount? Also, the engine sounds like it has compression but it sounds like air is leaking out somewhere making the sound louder than normal (I've never heard this before this job).

Before I buttoned everything up, the sam chain had about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch deflection between the two cam gears and I made sure it didn't jump a tooth by using zip ties to hold the cam gears. I've never done this before and I'm afraid I might mess it up so I wanted to ask for some advice.

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
video helps, see if you can get the air leak sounds, it could just be the exhaust, you wont hear any leakage or blowbye however you can get the chain so tight the valves wont close and open all the way, not good

I don't do mine running

I just get it tight to the feel, then back it off 1/4-1/2 turn then check my compression and tappet clearance, long as your tappet clearance is nut and you're compression is good you are golden,

so adjust out all chain slack, if you have to take the side covers off to see whats what it helps then you will get a feel for it as in whats tight so you can back it off..

or just follow the instructions on APE website or vids..

this is basically how i do it, the feel way

you can see this guy feeling the chain tension between the two top gears that's another way, I suggest removing the side covers to check the guides and get a good feel for what you're dealing with and how it all works..

also APE may have a video as well for gixxers and the busa be the same for the SRAD..

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Literally a step by step guide is stickied here... since 2003?

You said you had 1/4 to 1/2 inch deflection... that’s too loose...

And a wind like sound you’ve described is usually too tight and the sound from grinding away at your cam chain guides...

Get deflection set correctly, rotate the motor fully by hand with a socket.. slightly go opposite direction to grab up the loose play in the chain (gravitational weight of a beefy socket wrench handle is usually enough to draw up the free slack)., check deflection again, repeate as nessessary untill deflection is consistently set correctly, then lock down the lock nut, check one final time to ensure you didn’t blunder it when locking it down, if deflection is okay after reconfirming, bolt everything back up and ride worrie free for the next few months and do the process all over again.....

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
1/4 to 1/2 turn of the adjuster
His own words.....

Before I buttoned everything up, the sam chain had about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch deflection between the two cam gears and I made sure it didn't jump a tooth by using zip ties to hold the cam gears. I've never done this before and I'm afraid I might mess it up so I wanted to ask for some advice.
1/2 inch loose cam chain is significantly loose.....

at any case, there literally is a hold a persons hand step by step guide on how to do it stickied....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts