Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'98-\'99 750 owners! Will I regret not purchasing an \'00

Hey guys, right now I'm looking for a '98-'99 Gixxer 7 and I'm finding some pretty good deals. Tell me, do you guys ever wish you had waited for the '00. How much better is it really. I won't have a chance to ride the '00 anytime soon. Did you guys ever ride the '00 and up 750 and immediately want to sell your bike, or was it just a little better and not enough to warrant the sale of your current bike. Thanks in advance -Nate

[ 06-06-2002, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Nasty Nate F4 ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: \'98-\'99 750 owners! Will I regret not purchasing an \'00

I have ridden a 01' 750 and I like mine better, it just "feels" better, power is unnoticable I thought, I have a few mods to mine and this was a stock 01' I rode, I would never sell my bike to buy a 00'+ 750, the difference to me was just not worth it, I like the way my bike looks better anyway, I think you will be plenty happy w/ the 98-99. I can smoke the stock 00'+ 750's most anywhere anyway

·
Banned
6,048 Posts

IM impartial to the srad look of 96-99 really. I think gixxer trademarks are kinda gone on the newer designs. For example,
1) the truely twin-looking headlamps - now kinda washed together - not bad , but not gixxer 2 me
2) the headcage, (i mean fairing stay over the triple tree) - removed for weight reasons and replaced with a more stable inner one - again kinda lost the racey appeal 2 me!
3) the super fat (and phat) tail section with the cheater cowling - kinda streamed out of the picture and now look more like the competition!!

there are more, but im sure you will make up your mind on your own. As far as gsxr's go, Ive owned a 1988 slingshot750, a 1992 oiler 750 and now my 99 srad and havent seen anything around that i visually like any better.

best of luck either way u cant go wrong

·
Registered
7,769 Posts

The new generation of gixxers is an imporoved design over the SRADS. I am not knocking the SRADS.

If you can score a good deal on a 98-99, jump on it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts

long live the SRAD... i like em both to tell you the thruth..my next bike will prob be a gixx 1k, you cant got wrong with either bike, if you can get a SRAD for a good price jump on it..you wont regret it.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I'm happy with my 98 SRAD. But I do admit that I like the newer looking shape and dash. There will only be a few changes with the new ones - shape, few pounds lighter and dash. As for hp #'s, my bike puts out the same as the new bike. I'm impressed to be four years old. If you can get it at a good deal, then jump on it. They are great bikes.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Like everybody said, I LOVE the SRAD model's better. I'm more old school and I like the thicker looking bikes ZX7's, CBR 900's...

Plus over here in Toronto the SRAD's are not as popular as R1's, R6's, CBR 600's and the newer generation gixxers.

Long live SRAD's

·
Registered
9,334 Posts

I LOVE the SRAD's !!!!!!!!!!!!

the only thing I'd like is the new gen CLUSTER....

I'll keep my 98 750 , and replace it with another SRAD.... heheh

·
Registered
547 Posts

Yeh, I love mine too!None of the later models I've ridden with seem to have any noticable advantages that would make me buy a later one

·
Registered
788 Posts

I am very happy with my 97 6/7 and have not ridden the newer model, but they do weight about 28 lbs less, thats the best part for me, power is very similar, and the handling is 'slightly' better (?) I have heard. 2000's are around $7500 and the 98-99's are $6500 give or take, depending on the seller. If you get a clean one for $6000 or less I'd go for it (especially if it has a good pipe and maybe an aftermarket shock), you really won't go any faster with the newer bike on the street. The rest is just asthetics and your bank account.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Here's a good reason:

I was sitting outside a club last night and there were a few bikes parked out side the entrance after closing. We were all sitting on our bikes and everyone was looking at them. There was a VFR, a new Telefonica 600 GSXR, a CBR F3 Smokin Joe Replica, a harley, and an 01 GSXR 750. MINE WAS THE ONLY BIKE TO GET COMMENTS ON!

Nice Bike, Dude!
Sweet Ride!
That's a serious race bike.. etc

Nobody seemed to care too much for the newer GSXR 750.

SRADS forever! Fat ass tail sections rule!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

What can you guys tell me about steering feel? Does the newer one feel significantly more flickable? Does the newer 750 feel like a toy compared to yours? Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
5,571 Posts

hard to say with steering, I have ridden both gixxers, i found when i rode a friends 2k gixxer, that mine was alot more flickable (mine is setup with raceglass which is used for both on the street and on the track) But mine also has no damper (never really needed one) With power the newer gixxer feels like it can bring the power on a little earlier in the rev range (mine has full race system with k&n filter and jet kit) but at topend both feel about the same.. I would say if you can get a good deal on a earlier model, def go for that..

·
Registered
645 Posts

I have to add to that.. and yeah.. the SRAD tail is something to be desired in a bike. It looks racey like the good ol' RGV-T 500 or simply RGV500 grand prix bikes that the SRAD was originally redesigned after... You'll notice that all Grand Prix bikes are still designed with similar shape for reasons of wind tunnel testing for best all around aerodynamic shape. Note the Hayabusa for that also as it's a two wheel dart. The 96-99's are in both design and function a world class leading bike. Highly buildable, well built, and capable bike. I have a 96 gold/black(gun metal grey really) 750 and it's a badazz bike in all respects. I like both the SRAD and the new ones, but it's all in what you want personally. Either way, it's a Gixxer right?! That's what's important. You don't want a torqueless Honda, or a Kawi Pig, or Yamaha (R-what?), or Ducati (can I afford this?) vtwin... Suzuki is a leader. They will always prove it over and over. Like a sore d*ck. Can't beat em! lol

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

SRAD's look faster even standing still

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

I look at new bikes every couple of months, I've been looking to replace my '98 750 for the past two years, but simply cannot bring myself to write a check for several thousand for something that is really no better than my SRAD, and somthing that looks no better either.

I love the look of the SRAD, except maybe the lights - the 900RR was always my favourite from the front.....

The newer ones feel like you are perched on top of them, rather than part of them, but its just my personal preference to be part of the machine, rather than on it.

I rode an 02 600 recently, and figured that it had enough power and handling for me, but in the end I decided against it as it was still not a step forward.

I think I will prolly buy an 03 750, and keep my 98 as a track bike, or maybe get an 01 600 as a track bike, or an RD400, or something, whatever I get I doubt it will compare to the old bitch....

·
Banned
6,048 Posts

TRUE DAT!!!!!!!!!
A GOOD THING ONLY COMES ALONG ONCE -N-AWHILE
ALTHOUGH WITH SUZUKI GSXR, (SANS 93-95) GOOD THINGS COME ALONG EVERY YEAR

NO DISRESPECT TO THE 93-95 OWNERS- TRUELY A CLASSY BIKE, BUT A LITTLE OUTA LINE WITH THE GSXR PHILOSPHY OF LIFE!!

SCOTT

·
Registered
187 Posts

I you look at the Y2K and beyond forum you see one that pretains to the transmissionof the new bikes. I haven't looked lately but they we up to 46% that are havong tranny problems with the shifting forks and 1st and 2nd gears going out complety. What sucks is that if you warrenty runs out most shops are making you pay it out of pocket. That could cost you $1500.00 to $2000.00
. That sucks
What makes it worse is that there asking people how they're riding the bike insinuating that people are abusing there motorcycles my response would be like a GIXXER you know the slogan "OWN THE RACE TRACK".

[ 06-11-2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Blackspeed ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts