Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got this as a fixer upper went through pan sump radiator brakes etc.... needed the oil pump replaced noticed gear broke when replacing the clutch. did all the adjustments etc...now clutch seems to stay engaged...pull clutch in bike fires up go to put in first and it is pooping into gear. have worked on motorcycles before but am confused on what issue could be. any help i would greatly appreciate.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
It’s difficult to understand what your describing.

From what you’ve wrote I’m picturing... bike off , in neutral, pull clutch , bike starts rite up, you go to put it in first, and it pops rite into first.... doesn’t sound like anything is wrong from the description your giving. :dunno

The first part where you say the clutch seems to stay engaged makes me wonder if you mean you can change gears freely but no engagement. I would wonder if you missed a ring when you worked on the clutch, or possibly have the clutch cover/cable installed incorrectly. If the clutch lever and cable cable is operating properly and you can feel that your compressing the diaphragm springs, then your problem is likely in the clutch basket stack itself or deeper and worse... Keep in mind that there are differences between the years and models of the srads with their clutch basket stacks. The tapered ring is easily missed as well...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually when i put it in first its as if there is no clutch action and it stalls out i put it on stands and it does the same thing its like your slamming into first and it wouldn't even roll in first on stands i am going to have to drain all the new oil and try again. just not having luck with this new project so far new oil pan gasket is leaking as well....

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I'm really trying, but I cannot understand or picture what your trying to describe.

I can't tell if your describing something like a messed up front sprocket cover where you got the cable stuff or pin messed up. Or if your describing a mechanical problem that would require digging into the motor. Either way it seems surprising that you'd need to ask if you were using the service manual and fallowing it properly for the repair you mention before. I'm fearing your scenario is on the lines of you know just enough to get yourself into a big mess, hopefully not... :dunno ...

Bummer about a new oil pan gasket leaking.... That's odd if you bought a new oem gasket and replaced all the 1 time use bits with brand new plus fallowed torque pattern and specs..... Sucks that you'll need to pull the headers to replace that gasket again, the header manifold gaskets aren't cheap and the cost adds up quickly if your routinely pulling the exhaust system.....(they are crush fit and one time use plus cost ~35$ for a set of 4 every time, nobody likes hearing exhaust leaks).

Might want to consider just buying a known good motor and pay a shop or friend ~200$ to plop it in. Motors cost around 500$? Prolly run ya around 700$ if you don't do the ordeal yourself? Change the header gaskets 10 times and pay for 10 oem part replacements, you'll easily break that cost... If money is a factor... start with downloading the service manual and read it cover to cover... Then isolate your problem with troubleshooting...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts