Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a client brings me his 97 GSXR 750. Tells me to "fix" it. I ask what's wrong with it. He smiles and says "It ain't fast enough!".

It already has: decked head with polished valves, ignition advance, full Yosh system, Stage 2 jet kit, K&N filter...

What would you do? Before you answer that keep the following in mind: It has to semi-stay "streetable" (so no flat slides) and everything has to stay within the stock fairings.

I'd like to stay "conventional" so no suggestions of trans-warp drives or Saturn V rocket motors.

780 kit? Turbo? Nitro? Busa motor?!?!?!?!

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
THE BUS would definately be faster, but not very cost effective vs. buyin a 1k instead.....maybe a 20 shot would be fast enuf.........

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
dump some cams into her!

piston kit? I think you can get 3mm over kits that yield like 817 cc !

airbox mod ?

got NOS ?

hey dude where do you live????? are you a mechanic somewhere????? PM or email me!

[ 06-25-2002, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: jp233 ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
well you talk about the work tha is done but it doesnt look like you have cams... Maybe a big bore kit... You can make that motor put out over 130hp with out to many problems.

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nah! I would say, ...(provided this isn't already done).. add bigger cams, slightly higher comp pistons, or rather just do a displacement setup. I believe superbike Mike would do it. His url is www.superbikemike.com They do engine building, and large displacement upgrades. So you could take that 750 and make it like a 900+cc bike safely. It's worth a try. I never done it, but read a bit about them and they seem reputable so far for good work. Or you could do a Mr. Turbo system which would be way better than NOS by far. Carbs are just fine with turbos as they give great fuel mixing when adjusted properly. That would land you quite a bit more punch. That and you dont' have to fill a NOS bottle all the time if you really like to get on it. Plus you can always let off the gas on the fly w/o problems in an emergency... say a traffic obstruction. I'd do that with a stage 2 or 3 jetkit. Or talk to some racers who run Gixxers and see what kind of power they're running out of their bikes. If they're in a local sanction, they could be easily running 150hp + from just a good engine build. Nobody uses nos or turbo's there, and they're faster than any normal streetbike. Well that's my two cents! Take it or leave it. hehe

·
Registered
788 Posts
0-Airbox mod + labor to jet correctly
1-Yosh stage-1 camshafts $750 + labor
2-big bore 791 cc JE kit $ 800 + labor
3-2001 gix 1k $8500 - cost of his bike ($5K to $6k) = $3500 and no labor

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by jp233:
hey dude where do you live????? are you a mechanic somewhere????? PM or email me!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK I'm going to propose to this guy the full APE system: cams, big bore, keep the bottom end stock, new valve springs and ti retainers (the heads been polished but maybe a bit more), replace the cam chain, goto a mechanical adjuster, aluminum basket... associated stuff.

But my recomendation is going to be: Leave this bike as is and put a turbo on his Busa!

Thanks for all the inputs y'all! I'll report back with what I get to do.

I'm a shade-tree race mechanic. I build WERA and AMA bikes for people and do a bit of other wrenching on the side. I own and built Opie Caylor's WERA SV650. I'm in the northside of ATL.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'd say do really good headwork, big cams, higher comp pistons, balance out the bottom end, Barnett clutch, upgrade to 98+ airbox and FI system with a program done. Should land loads of hp. My bud James has a retired racebike that smokes R1's or 954's like it's cool. Mostly this is what's done accept the FI convert as his is a 98 already. You can do a lot with what you got. You just have to know how to enhance it. Not that I'm the formost expert. But, if you can improve the head, and the way it breathes and adding more compression and fuel where it's needed, then 749cc's are way plenty!
Trust me... This bike is fast! Try 140hp at the tire!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts