Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new here and im planning on buying a 97 gsxr 600 srad. The problem is the owner thinks the engine is blown. How do i know if the engine is blown? Do i do a compression test first, then check if i have spark and fuel? Well i know it has fuel. What is the compression suppose to be? Oh and how do you check for spark?

Now my second part. If it is blown. then i will have to buy another engine. I know someone here locally that has an engine for the bike. But is there a manual somewhere that explains how to take out and put back in the engine, since i never done an engine swap b4? Is it hard to swap out the engine and put one back in? I just need a write up and i think i should be fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just wrote you a complete write up but my computer messed up so I lost it. I dont have time to write it again but. Get a compression test. Have the dealer do it they will tell you what it is and where it needs to be. If it comes back good then check for spark. Do this by taking out the spark plug and put it in the coil linkage. press start on the bike. If it sparks then you have spark. Make sure its a nice spark (BLUE)
Taking out the motor is simple. 6 bolts hold on motor.
2 lftside,2 rght side and 2 back side.
take off radiator,headers and front wheel. disconnect all ground wires.
disconnect front sprocket. disconnect airbox and carbs from manifold.
use an impact wrench for the front sprocket. Ill write later with more info if you need it.good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. about how much would it cost me to get a compression test? A write up would be very helpful. If you or someone can write one up that would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey now will someone send it to me? Mine is gettin up there in miles, im going to need the same info soon. And would you know what I'll need to do to swap a 750 for my 600 when the time comes? Its a 97 600. So my arse doesnt get jumped, I HAVE BEEN using the search to see if someone else posted it. What year engines should I be looking for, for a closer fit?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
there are like 6 posts atleast on that topic from the last 3 months...search harder...
any srad motor will bolt in but the 98 99 750s are fuel injected and require a lot more parts.

·
Premium Member
8,797 Posts
there is a 600 to 750 swap sticky in this forum, follow the first half, and then do it backwards to put in the new motor :cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts