Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trolling through all the forums I see a lot of recommendations for the 07/08 GSXR 1000 rear shock as a replacement. I did see in the oil cooled section some guys have gone with a BMW S1000RR since it is a direct replacement. I was wondering if anyone has tried that on a 93-98 with success and what mods were needed? or I am just better off going with the 07/08 GSXR 1000 rear shock? I am not doing the replacement myself so I need to know if there is something out there my mechanic can just drop in without any mods.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Easy to change out with some basic tools!
If you don't have solid mount foot pegs, run a steel bar through the swing arm axle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Stuff to help you learn:

1. Get you Red R
2. Fiche: Motorsports Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki Motorcycle Dealer ATV Greenville NC Used Sport Bikes Eastern North Carolina Hustler mower, Honda Power equi
3. Get a book: 1992-1995 SUZUKI GSX R750W MOTORCYCLE SERVICE MANUAL & BINDER/ 99500-37073-03E | eBay
4. Get another book: https://www.amazon.com/Suzuki-Katana...sxr+750+haynes
5. Carb help and parts: (but I say keep the 39 FCRs) CV Carb Tuning Procedures
6. Carb parts for cv and fcr (wiil need float needle from other supplier): LiteTek
7. Get on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBh...T3qXwTW0eToyCg

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
F.W.I.W...I have never been a fan of shoehorning a another bike or brands shock into a Gsxr simply because the bolts holes line up.
Incorrect valving, incorrect springing, incorrect ride height and the list goes on.
Will most anything be an improvement over a sagged and shagged 25+ year old shock?
The answer to that, of course is yes!
Is it the proper way to proceed in the pursuit of upgrading your suspension?
I.M.H.O. it is not!
Find an Ohlins shock...find a Fox shock...find a Progressive shock...Find a Works Performance shock but for God's sake find something that is actually built for your application!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I just installed a rear shock from an 07 GSXR 1000 on my 93 750W, took a little longer than I thought but it was pretty easy to do, had lots of room for the new one, and everything lined right up.
My suggestion, after removing the old unit, loosen all the links and install the top bolts first. Get the bike high enough so when you go to install the bottom bolt, you can lower the swingarm an extra 8"-16". It will make things easy.
Adjust the settings on the new one and go for a test ride with a small flat head screwdriver so you can stop and adjust it on the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts