Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
maybe its just me but it sounds like more then just a battery!!! dont know what the prob is but im sure its not just a battery problem. ive never heard of a dead battery building presure in the fuel tank. odd!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check the hose coming off the fuel pump to make sure they are not crimped... That might be why it is building pressure? Weird schitt though

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
i just came back from vir i had some problems with the bike,it first hat to get bumped to get stated once i took the bike off the trailor, then it would run about 4 laps then it would crap out and just loose all power then it would just not tun over it would not get any power to start, relised the fule pump was not pluged in, ok so that kidna fixed the prob,charged the battery fixed for the rest of the day ok next day went pretty good but then the last session out it did the same thing it would just crapped out with no power (eletrical) so beats me whats going on with it, there was plenty of gas in it, any ideas ?ohh the gas tank would build up pressure and when i would open the cap a lot of pressure was reliesed.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I just found my "electrical death" problems - the rectifier plug was melting due to a short, the big earth wire connector was loose and arcing, and this melted the plug, which caused a big short to the wire below it - it would run for a while - 14 miles, but flatten the battery.

I repaired it with a few big-amp connectors, and it all works well now.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
what are the actual specifics on this where do i find this and how and all that stuff

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
the rectifier mounts to the left side of the subframe under the rider seat... check all the wires going around there for melts or wire chafing....

check the ECU wiring too... yes replacing shorted sections (look for arcing marks, will look like little burn marks) with some decent amp connectors would be fine, or you could hard wire them...

wire chafing

[ 06-04-2002, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: jp233 ]

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
You are looking at the big block connector that is on the end of the rectifier, pull the rear plastic off and look at the area near your left leg as you sit on it....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before pulling all your connectors apart, I'd check to see if the battery is charging. With a voltmeter across the battery, with engine running, meter should be reading about 14.5 volts. Anything less than 12.5 would indicate no charging. Then check the rectifier wires. This way you can try wiggling to see if charging reoccurs. If it does, you've found your dodgy connections and you can get your soldering iron out. One common problem is the connector from the generator wires. There are three black wires from the generator that go to the rectifier via a connector. It's this connector that tends to melt. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts