Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saved her from the scrap pile.. History says she's been abused, towed, impounded, salvaged, overall just a hard life.. We'll change that..

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
pretty much what mine looked like 10 years ago when I picked it up for $300 but mine din't have the upgraded front end and rear subframe swap..

do you know if that's the 1000 subframe or the 600/750? looks gen1 1000 to me maybe gen2? either way if the person who did the mods did a good job you scored on that, really spiffs up the SRAD

sure you've seen it but maybe fabricate a bracket where they used that U bolt on the upper subframe mount, looks real sketchy from here..

nice yosh, should be an interesting project keep us in the loop....

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
I have a buddy rode his bike over and his sprockets looked like that, the chain was almost touching the ground.. chain dragger

that front rotor must have taken a hit?

have you identified the front end and the rear subframe to me, the first year for 600/750 golds were? do you have plastic for the rear? post up if you do

honestly those forks look like gen1 gsxr1000 to me, the first years for 600/750 gold forks was 04/05?

those are decent forks really, you can get upgrade kits for em still..

you going to paint it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have a buddy rode his bike over and his sprockets looked like that, the chain was almost touching the ground.. chain dragger

that front rotor must have taken a hit?

have you identified the front end and the rear subframe to me, the first year for 600/750 golds were? do you have plastic for the rear? post up if you do

honestly those forks look like gen1 gsxr1000 to me, the first years for 600/750 gold forks was 04/05?

those are decent forks really, you can get upgrade kits for em still..

you going to paint it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Front end done.. Might need some seal work though.. Leaving her naked polish the frame more likely, not sure the years of the mods. But she's got some goodies, it did have the u bolt mod but was able to fabricate some brackets and bolted it on.. Not a fan of the tails prefer stubbie back end.. Took her for a quick ride.. Felt jittery maybe some carb work or feeling likes she's getting too much air had full choke on.. She doesn't have the srad scoops but she does have the correct air box had to search for it but found it. The old one did not fit the intake throats seems to be a junk yard try since it had 600 with white out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found out that she was a "get away bike" used for whatever, i was wondering why all the lights had a kill switch installed, all chrome was spray canned black, and the clutch switch was bypassed.. Like i said hard life.. She's got a record.. Did some time.. Well then..

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
yup, dip the carbs install new jets, o'rings and gaskets, inspect, service manual has all the base settings, should purr like a kitten...

also you might consider removing the front wheel on a stand or elevated and see if there is any pinch or looseness..

appears to be SRAD wheels on a newer set up, make sure they got their shims and axle right for peace of mind, make sure calipers are aligned with the rotors properly, sometimes they need washers one side or the other to get em to lineup with rotors perfectly.. how was the feel putting the front tire back on? did the rotors line up perfectly and there was just a little width looseness the axle took up when tightening, wheel spins several turns on its own?

looks like you are missing a rotor bolt there, re-torque with proper torque spec and proper loktite from manual, go for 2001 gsxr 1000.. I bet that's what that from end is? did it come with front fender? that can reveal what year/model forks are that way we can get you lined out on torque and spacings so forth..

not Hayabusa, what was it the 2002 SE had gold forks and rotors.. same wheels as SRAD but the fender carriers are a lot different, I am gonna say 01/02 gsxr 1000, so that's the fender you need, nice cuz its slim and sporty... srad and busa fenders are big and clumsy lookin

how is your ignition and steering stops lined up? might be another good reason to take that front end down if you have to fab up to get your steering lock to work and your stops? lock not as important as the stops, trust me you want stops as you already know..

curious but how did you order the rotors? for what bike and year?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Checked the wheel per your comments, had to open the pods since the rotors are new and the old ones had some wear, I went by measurements and just got lucky that they lined up and slid right in. Ride felt good no weird response or jittery etc, brakes had good response but just need breaking in since everything is new. Chain was too tight, so relaxed it a bit. I have no history of the parts, so can't really say years and models.

Turning radius is a bit tight but normal from what I can see with the amount of space, no issues with locks etc,,the only thing I can think of right now is the carb tune up and moding the water overflow tank instead of the plastic unit,,any ideas

thanks,

·
Registered
151 Posts
frame looks good without the weld in there.

i have an old brake rez as my overflow... works pretty good.. puked a bit out the first ride but solid since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts