Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 8 bent intake valves from trying to put in my manual CCT(yeah I know im an idiot) and I am debating on whether to get a new ported and polished head from a fellow sportbiker for $275 or just get the shop to put in the new valves. The shop wants $480 labor to put in the new valves and they say each valve is about $40(I think thats pretty high) but the ported and polished head comes with valves and springs but they arent in the head so there is going to be some more labor involved. The thing is the head is off of a 96 GSXR 750 and I have a 99 GSXR 750. My question is will this head fit on my 99 without complications and are the cams from my 99 interchangeable into a 96 head?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You can use the head.. And everything should fit right on. BUT there is a port change on the 98-99 head... This was done to work better with the Fi and more a bit more power...

I dont know what the shipping is, but if you want to ship me the head I can get the valves and put them in for you.. My labor would be a lot less... If you want to.. my zip for shipping is 91101. You could find out what the cost to ship to me and back to you is and we can work something out.. If you like..

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea it might make more power.. I dont know for sure...

As far as the headgasket. I did a headgasket mod and there was not enough clearence and it blew the motor.. Be carefull...

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm I think the shop might be trying to rip me off. I told them that I could get a 96 head and asked them if they could just put it on and they said "no, a 96 head wont fit on a 99 because 96 motors have a different bore/stroke than the 99s". Im starting to become a little skeptical about them, how much does it take to bend valves anyways? I have read about people jumping 3 teeth on their cam sprocket and still not have valve damage. When I tried to crank it after the timing was off I could not hear anything abnormal(such as valves hitting the pistons). Im beginning to think that my problem is not as serious as they say it is.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by 1990GSX750F:
I have 8 bent intake valves from trying to put in my manual CCT(yeah I know im an idiot) and I am debating on whether to get a new ported and polished head from a fellow sportbiker for $275 or just get the shop to put in the new valves. The shop wants $480 labor to put in the new valves and they say each valve is about $40(I think thats pretty high) but the ported and polished head comes with valves and springs but they arent in the head so there is going to be some more labor involved. The thing is the head is off of a 96 GSXR 750 and I have a 99 GSXR 750. My question is will this head fit on my 99 without complications and are the cams from my 99 interchangeable into a 96 head?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd stay away from that ported head. The '99 intake ports are about 10% smaller than the '96 and make about 5 more hp. The new GSXRs have smaller ports yet and make even more power. Many if not most ported heads are a joke. I would run away screaming from a disassembled head if final cost was a concern.

The '99 cams will drop into the '96 head, as will the valve cover which will be required to complete the cam position sensing system the FI requires.

You can probably do better than $40 per valve on line. Try the Ron Ayers link on this board.

$480 is pretty good if it's a drive in drive out price. Pretty outragous if its just to do a valve job and replace the valves. If you want to stay with a bigger shop, try the GSXRZone link, also on this board. Do have a valve job done and replace the valve seals.

If you break the job up, there won't be a guarantee on the final product.

Whoever told you that the CCT can be changed without pulling the cam cover gave you really bad advice. Yes, it can be done. The problem is not every time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if the head on the 96 is ported will I be making more power than I was before or about the same? I kind of want to use this as an opportunity to upgrade. If I were to keep my stock head, I would like to upgrade the valves and possibly have the stock head ported and maybe put on an aftermarket head gasket. Do you know what the performance gains of these mods would yield and if they are even worth doing? And any suggestions on which valves and headgasket to get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts