Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those how have owned/rode/experienced/raced/compared the 96-99 and the 00+ generation GSXR 750's: How much of a difference in performance are we talking about? I'm interested in all aspects such as acceleration, cornering, braking, top speed, stability, track racing, drag racing, even comfort and ergonomics, or any other area you can comment on. I'm interested in comparing apples to apples, such as a stock bike to stock bike. I think a bike can be modified/customized to a wallet's limit, but I'm wondering how they compare in stock trim. And if a 96-99 is modified to equal a 00+, what mods would make it so? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

[ 12-02-2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Hatchman ]

·
Registered
351 Posts
the newer bikes are fuel injected which gives them about 15 more HP i think for the 600's, jeff will post i am sure and correct me
oh and the cool electro spedo

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I've ridden my SRAD for over 50K miles in four years (and three months).

I also rode an 02 600 and an 01 750 this year

At the end of the test rides, I fealt that it was not worth spending the money to get to the new gen, as the differences where really not that big.

The SRAD is more comfortable for me (6-2 and 200#)

The new gen feels smaller, and lighter, but not really much faster, actually the 600 feels faster because it turns in like a maniac compared to my 750, and noticeably better than the 01 750.

I love the new speedo, and the rear end styling, but that was about it, everything else felt no better, or actually not as nice.

If I had the money to go and spend, it would not be on a new 750, it would be on more upgrades to the old girl in the parking lot.

My bike is fairly heavily modified, so I guess that the comparison to almost stock bikes was not that fair, but if I swapped, I would start with bone stock again...

I realise that at some point I will have to replace her, but the 01/02's are not enough of a step forward for me to do so.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
The newer generation GSXR is better all around bike than its predecessor.

Take note that its predecessor, the '96-'99 SRADs has two different engines:

'96-'97 has a carbed engine
'98-'99 has a fuel injected engine

Stock-for-stock: The power of the SRAD Fuel Injected engine is very very close to the new generation 750's, most people will barely notice, but the newer engines are more efficient and utilize a bit more technology.

The new gen gixxers have a more aggressive seating position than the SRADs. This is very good for high performance, but not as good for commuting. That will be up to the individual choice.

The SRADs are known to have Cam Chain Tensioner Issues (normally a relatively cheap fix if Identified early), while the new generation 750 has a known transmission problem particularly on the Y2k models (expensive fix).

Because of the large differences in PRICE between the two bikes (you can save thousands going with a Fuel Injected SRAD), it will be a difficult choice between the two ... depends on what you individually find more important.

[ 12-02-2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Originally posted by PackersFan:
the newer bikes are fuel injected which gives them about 15 more HP i think for the 600's, jeff will post i am sure and correct me
oh and the cool electro spedo
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is not entirely accurate:

While the '96-'97 750's are carbureted, the '98-99 SRAD's are Fuel Injected also. There is only a very small power difference between the new gen and the FI SRAD 750.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
to make it simple the new generation has a better low end than the older gen.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The biggest difference inmo is the weight between the 2 ,power wise its so close that one would not notice the difference ,but the y2k weighs 13 kg's less ,nearly 30 pounds an to save that on an srad model would cost u big $$$ ,power is up by less than 5 % but coupled with the weight saving is where the newer model gets ahead. Before i bought mine (98 FI) i test rode both the older SRAD (mine ) with an arrow race pipe an a newer model ,which was stock , it made no sense to me paying the extra premium to get the newer one.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think the only real difference in the geometry of the newer generation vs the SRAD is the tank is narrower between the knees.

I have ridden both a 97 and my 02 750 a lot. I can honestly say the power diffy is noticed right away. My R6 felt just as powerful as the 97 750.

As someone else stated, the weight is notices. Also the throttle response has been cleared up a little every year since 99. The 00 got a new FI system, the 01 was cleaned a little more and the 02 and 03 have a little bit different system yet.

Lastly is style. Some really like the old SRAD, prob because they seen it when it was first marketed and love it. Others like the newer style. I own both, and like aspects of each. I personally like the hump tail.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
the biggest difference I noticed was the weight.

I seriously doubt FI adds 15 hp. In many cases, carbed engines can equal and even out perform FI if they are properly tuned.

the newer 750 is something like 20 lbs lighter.

I think my 97 is 385 and the new ones are around 365.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
'feel' is subjective....not only that, but what one feels doesn't necessarily correlate with reality. one bike can make less power everywhere than another and still 'feel' just as fast/powerful. a bike that weighs less than another can 'feel' heavier.

in brochures, the manufacturers like to mention how performance is increased with fuel injection (some advantages - such as compensation for changing atmospheric conditions - are real), but the main reason is emissions. fuel injection gives them much finer control, so they can meet the same or even tighter emissions regulations while not sacrificing as much (or any) power. instead of needing different carbs/jetting, milder cams, and a different ecu for the more emissions-restrictive california market, with fuel injection they can make the bikes run clean enough to pass emissions everywhere without needing to make other possibly power-robbing changes. so, riders are happy because their bikes aren't castrated, manufacturers are happy because they've simplified production, governments are happy because emissions have been met. win-win situation for everybody except the die-hard carb guys.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
examples of bikes feeling what they arent
the old fireblade compared to the new fireblade - the new one is faster but the old feels faster because it is much more raw power
the same can be said for the old R1 compared to the new

·
Registered
751 Posts
Depends where the center of gravity is on the bike also. Does the weight sit high, or low?

Dangle a 15lb weight at the bottome of your bike, you prob won't know its there, but set that weight on top of your gas tank and you will feel it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts