Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have relied on the various forums for some pretty solid information up to this point, so please, save me the lecture about using the search function...

What we have (all from a 98'):
- Throttle bodies
- Camshaft and cover
- Valve cover
- Wiring harness
- ECU
- Air intake
- Thermostat housing

What we need:
- Fuel Tank?
- Fuel pump?

We know that there is a lot more PSI with the fuel pump in the FI models. We also understand that there needs to be a fuel return line.

QUESTIONS:
- 98'/99' Fuel Tanks with OEM pumps seem to be in short supply. Is there a way to modify my 96' fuel tank to work? What specifically do we need to do to it? Is it as simple as removing the fuel pump assembly and replacing it with a 98'/99' fuel pump, or are there other qualities of the tank (internally) that mine does not have?
- Has anyone used a $20 aftermarket "Intank Fuel pump"? THe forum won't let me post a link, but the one we found is from a company named "Caltric", the have it on their website. Is this a magical solution to all of our problems? If so, what should I know about them?

- What other parts do we need?
- What other general advice can you yield?

THANK YOU!
- Two guys from the Midwest.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
We have relied on the various forums for some pretty solid information up to this point, so please, save me the lecture about using the search function...
Have you tried our search function?

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I have a modified carbed tank it had a welded on tube like the other two worked great.also have one with a jb welded plastic pingle seems to work ok.tanks are same other than the third line at back.Need fi clocks as well and tip oversensor.i think I read timing is different between fi and carbed.

I have a new fi pump from caltric bought off ebay seems to work great.seems like it be a pain in butt to modify carbed pump base to attach fi pump motor.
intake boots/manifold different ddiameter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LoneStranger, You have been the single most helpful person by far out of everywhere we have posted this. Thank you.

Have you done a carb to FI conversion on a 96/97 srad before?

What do you mean when you say "intake boots/manifold different diameter"?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried our search function?
Sigh... I get it, I'm new here.

This forum seems to be the SOLE place on the internet for people who love these bikes to come together and talk about them. It is disheartening to come to the understanding that my passion is locked behind the gates of an old-boys-club styled forum.

I dont know what the flares and badges mean under your name oldgixxer, I assumed the gold rectangle means you are important, and that you deserved the regalia you've earned.

If you have effectively used the search bar to find the information I am looking for, it would be great if you would show me what to type in, instead of throwing it my face that I have failed to do it on my own. We spent a week searching for this info before making the account...

As an old guy, isnt it your job to pass on your wisdom to us young'uns? To give us the tools to fend for ourselves?

I ask again: Could you please help me?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
measure the diameter of your throttle bodies where they are placed inside the rubber manifolds to engine think carbed are bigge.not saying you cant rig em to work but they are different says same on airbox side.
Ah! that makes more sense. We'll double check when we get the parts in. Thanks.

Have you done this before?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Sigh... I get it, I'm new here.

This forum seems to be the SOLE place on the internet for people who love these bikes to come together and talk about them. It is disheartening to come to the understanding that my passion is locked behind the gates of an old-boys-club styled forum.

I dont know what the flares and badges mean under your name oldgixxer, I assumed the gold rectangle means you are important, and that you deserved the regalia you've earned.

If you have effectively used the search bar to find the information I am looking for, it would be great if you would show me what to type in, instead of throwing it my face that I have failed to do it on my own. We spent a week searching for this info before making the account...

As an old guy, isnt it your job to pass on your wisdom to us young'uns? To give us the tools to fend for ourselves?

I ask again: Could you please help me?
Lighten up Francis...it was a joke :thumbup

Yes,this forum has a wealth of knowledge. Stick around and you'll get the vibe;it's all in good fun

Reactions: DeMotorduvel

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Shhhh!!!! You'll scare him away :giggity

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had a lot of problems with my old carbs (solved btw). And looking for more modern alternatives I've also been researching FI conversions. But I noticed that google often comes up with much more specific search results then this forum's own search function. So if you really want to do a deep search then also try googeling it (and in google then simply check more results from Gixxer.com).

Have you considered not using Suzuki original parts? But go for something aftermarket instead?
It might give you a more modern system with much greater modability....

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
thermostat housing and sensor, someone just did this and everything was listed, thing is there is no general query for things like this, I know guys always say use the search but someone could title the thread, "upgrading carbed to FI" or whatever like you did so you have to get creative and use all sorts of search queries

in any event that last swap can't be no further than 5-6 pages away unless it's been real busy in here, then you can get his number and talk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts