Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a GSXR600v 96/7 and had to get another engine for it, The engine I got was a 97/8. It seemed to me that it would go in so I put it in the bike.

On the test drive the bike wasn't reving right, like it was starved of fuel. Bottom end was poor and so was the top end. But the engine sound's fine ticking over, was less lively when I started it though (with the choke). Had it checked out by a shop, and they say the engine is mechanically sound, and it could be a difference with the carb's. Checked this out and the carb's are the same on both bikes.

I come across a race team on the net that said the intake cam's must be used with the computer from the same year, and that putting the engine in alone (97/8 > 96/7)will cause a 10bhp loss.

Is this the case?

Anyone help?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
i can tell you that tehre is a difference in cams lift and duration I am not sure on what your trying to get at though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the 97/8 cam difference cause my engine to be out of tune with the 96/7 computer(cdi), and result in poor performance. As my bike is terrible below 5000revs and 10000revs aint the same either, the shop said my bike made 84bhp, which they say is terrible.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I believe you need the cdi that goes with the motor. I know its different with 97 and 2000 600 because i have tried that switch when testing my cdi unit.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
oh i thought you made a 600 to 750 swap i am sorry not sure on the cam set up on that yr

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Would the 97/8 cam difference cause my engine to be out of tune with the 96/7 computer(cdi), and result in poor performance. As my bike is terrible below 5000revs and 10000revs aint the same either, the shop said my bike made 84bhp, which they say is terrible

YES!
the cdi is diffrent between those years.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
All I know is that the 96/97 cams are different from the 98/99 cams and not just because of the sensor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had a look at the wiring diagram, there is 2 fuel solenoids connected to the 97-8 computer, will this cause problems?, and will I need the wiring loom and solenoids?.

Who knows?.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts