Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is a 93 Gixxer 600 water cooled, i am trying to install a 95 Katana 600. The engine bolts up fine but i cant figure out the wiring....has anyone done this or a similar swap from water cooled to oil cooled before or are there any websites....PS the story behing why i am putting this motor in is long but it amounts to a lack of availability of water cooled power plants!

·
Registered
354 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 93-600:
The bike is a 93 Gixxer 600 water cooled, i am trying to install a 95 Katana 600. The engine bolts up fine but i cant figure out the wiring....has anyone done this or a similar swap from water cooled to oil cooled before or are there any websites....PS the story behing why i am putting this motor in is long but it amounts to a lack of availability of water cooled power plants!<hr></blockquote>
try drag bike.com they have about 6-7 water cooled motors for sale you do not want to put that kanatuna motor in there trust me buy 1100 car kit and be done if not basicky you need the katana harness and cdi if you want it to be right

G

·
0 Posts
You are definitly wasting your time, the Katuna 600 was a dog to begin with, slower than the 93 GSXR600.... and the GSXR 600 was definitly SLOW!!!! The Watercooled engines aren't that hard to find, I just bought a 95 GSXR 750 engine a couple of weeks ago for $100.00! I see them on Ebay every once in a while too! In fact the was a 907 Superbike engine on there that sold for $800.00 a little over a week ago!

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: GixxerRacer371 ]</p>

G

·
0 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeff:
i'm surprised the kat motor bolted right in....in which case an oil cooled 1100 mill should present few problems too...<hr></blockquote>

Actually I've seen the opposite of this done already.... a watercooled 1100 motor in an oil cooled GSXR 750 Chassis........ they do bolt right in....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have a little shy of a grand in the whole package.... i have the CDI and everything from the kanatuna but the harness i have is pretty hacked.... i wanted to go with a water cooled 750 but the only ones i could find were WAY out of the price range.... also i dont want to have a lot of money in it because i have very little riding experience and i dont want to mess up anything too nice or $$. this is just a little project that i am working on

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
i hate to burst you guys bubble but no oil cooled gsxr(gsx katana) engine will just bolt into a water cooled frame...the motor mounts are in totally different locations...to interchange engine families like that is a lot of work...the most important thing to consider is the front and rear sprocket alignment...we have done a few of these and they are not easy to do...so i don't know who told you that they were direct bolt ins because they are NOT!!!!

dwayne

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BBWATERCOOL:
i hate to burst you guys bubble but no oil cooled gsxr(gsx katana) engine will just bolt into a water cooled frame...the motor mounts are in totally different locations...to interchange engine families like that is a lot of work...the most important thing to consider is the front and rear sprocket alignment...we have done a few of these and they are not easy to do...so i don't know who told you that they were direct bolt ins because they are NOT!!!!

dwayne
<hr></blockquote>

I thought the heads on the oil-cooled motors were too wide to even fit inside the water-cooled perimiter-frame?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 92-93 GSXR uses a N707 engine... this engine can interchange with any suzuki engine bearing an n70 ( the 0 denotes 600 cc)in the begining case number (katana is n705 and the RF600R is N709)also in 1993 the 750 and 1100 engines were oil cooled and these engines will also bolt right in (the 600 and 750 share the same main frame ) also the Katana used the N705 oil cooled 600 engine from 1989-1997

1 - 10 of 10 Posts