Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this question/issue has already been discussed.

I just got this gsxr up in Auburn, CA where I witnessed it run just fine. So, I truck it down to my house in Roseville, CA and start it with the choke on a couple clicks out like you should on those carb bikes..

I give it a good few minutes, and i slowly push the choke back it to turn it off.. AND THEN the bike turns off like someone just turned off the key..

Does anyone know why this is happening? Could the carbs just need a cleaning?

PLEASE let me know!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:biggrin

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Yep those are your carbs, lean by the sounds of it (since it won't run without the exces fuel supplied by the choke). Could be blocked/too small jets. Open them up and check whats in there, give them a good cleaning etc.

If you're new to these carbs, check out the oil-cooled section's Carb Sticky, its a great thing to read to get you familiar with whats all in there.

Welcome to the forum, keep us updated and enjoy the holidays :thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
Yes, if it runs with the choke on, that means it is getting less air, which will equate to needing more fuel with the choke in the off position.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Is there a great altitude difference between where you bought it and where you live?
Good catch. That's what I was thinking too. Or the idle jets are clogged w/ varnish.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
Good catch. That's what I was thinking too. Or the idle jets are clogged w/ varnish.
If it ran fine when he went to look at it, then there were problems with it when he arrived home, i would suspect an altitude difference.
Normally this problem says "pilot jets'' to me but not if was running well only a short time ago!
It should be running rich at the higher altitude then lean out as the altitude drops, necessitating the use of the choke to cut air/richen back up the mixture.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
F.Y.I.

Auburn Ca. Elevation: 1200-1400ft (A.S.L.)
Roseville Ca elevation: 200-400ft (A.S.L.)

I'll take "Elevation Changes" for 100 Alex!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
your idle screw could be backed out too far also.

elevation change would affect the way it ran, but it would have to be way lean to begin with if 1000 ft made it die. i brought mine from reno to near sea level and it still held an idle warm. you needed to rejet anyway, this is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Agreed...1000 feet should not make the difference of the bike running or not if it was jetted right in the first place...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts