Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought this bike a couple hrs away from home last year for $800 as a basket, and spent a couple weeks reassembling and learning about the GSXR's.
I brought it home one late sunday night, and it was 3 days before the wife saw the bare frame and parts in the garage, I told her it was a friends. However the 4th day found out it was mine, and I knew right away which of my buddies had spilled the beans. Had a lot of take-out that week.

I took a couple weeks and rebuilt it from the ground up, almost. New bearings, seals, tires, brake pads, clutch and throttle cables, and once it was done I wasn't impressed to be honest. It felt lazy, slow on takeoff, wouldn't lift the front wheel, almost as if there was an anchor dragging behind it.
I found out a few weeks later that someone had the cams off by 1 tooth while doing a valve adjustment.

I had joined this forum as soon as I had the bike home in the garage, and I want to say how much help this site, the information available and the people on it have been with this little project of mine.
Always on the look out for improvements, I wanted to share my results with a couple of the mods I've done as a result of being a member on this site.

Coil on plug ignition type is probably the change that has saved me the most headaches. I found a story online bout ditching the stock ignition coils, wires and crappy boots in favour of the c.o.p. style, and couldn't be happier. I scored a set of 08 'busa coils for $50, and made a wiring harness in 2 beers time. No more cracked plug boots, burned out wires and unreliable stock coils. Makes servicing easier, diagnosing misfires and rough running faster, and FORD 5.8 ignition coils are the same and cheap at wrecking yards.

I also grabbed a rear shock assy for $50 from the same place in Chatham, Ontario, 401 bikes. Corey was easy to deal with and helpful with suggestions. The ride immediately improved, and after adjusting the front suspension also, she handles better in the corners, and is way smoother over the frost heaves in the road.

Both were easy and cheap, and made a big difference with the bike. Some advise to those wanting to do the rear shock swap, install the top first, then what you can on the bottom. If you have access to a bike hoist, beg or pay whoever you know that has one because it saved a ton of time. By locking the front wheel in, and using the rear wheel stand, when trying to get the last bolts on the links installed, removing the plate in the deck of the hoist allowed me to lower the wheel enough they slipped right in. I supported the front part of the frame just behind the engine and lowered the rear wheel stand so the wheel went through the hole. Put the stand back on the sliders, lifted the swingarm, reinstalled the plate and done.

Best $300 I ever spent was on that hoist, it will lift and hold my 860lb Yamaha Venture at waist height with ease, and makes servicing and repairs a lot easier.

Anyways, I've attached some pics, thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
07 GSXR 1000. There's a guy in Windsor who buys and parts out sport bikes, but his prices are too high and he wont negotiate. I've been playing with the suspension settings the last few days trying to find something I'm happy with.
Worth the time and money tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts