Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was amazed how easy it was to install the braced swingarm off of a 93 GSXR750 directly onto an 88750 frame. It bolted right up to the older frame. This thing is going to be sweet when its done. Its my Buddies bike and It will probably keep up with my 01 1000.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me take some pictures. But Your right "My" Bike doesnt have that mod Its a GSXR1000. My Buddies bike does.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Simon,
He's talking about my bike. He is exaggerating a bit, as it is on the bike ... but it's lacking a wheel, front end, um, a bunch of stuff right now. I put it together, and decided to take it back apart for some more fun.

Wait till you see the tail-light I've got in store for ya ... let's just say part of it started life as an R6 LED light. Tank is off, getting painted (black) tomorrow, with the rest of the bodywork to follow this week.

·
Registered
412 Posts
so when you say bolted up, do you mean you didn't need any modification at all. I've got an '85 with '90 750 wheels on it. do you think it'll work for me too?

·
Registered
144 Posts
listen close grasshopper(s),
i am putting a 93-95 braced 750 swingarm on my 86 1100..........and let me tell you, what a pain in the ass. i had to have parts machined, get rid of the eccentric bearing, make new dog bones, grind out the shock well so the shock would not rub. i give all credit to mr gixxer and doug for their help through the process. if you are saying it was THAT EASY, you might want to check with the folks ive listed and make sure youve done it right. according to doug, if it not right, it could be bad for your health! let me know if you have any questions, but i refer all tech questions to the pro(s). have fun!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm with you. As this is my bike (quickgixxer is a buddy with an '00 1000), I can say with authority that it "bolted" right up easily, to the '88 frame. This is not to say that it has been done right --- it is just bolted up. I sit on the bike and the swingarm moves appropriately without hitting anything.

Honestly, I have read every post on this item in Gixxer.com, and don't know if I needed to do something differently for my '88. I know that you guys with 86-87 frames do have a bunch of changes to make ... and this seems to be what all the posts relate to. I have not been able to tell if this information applies to me or not!

Literally, the only thing we did was remove the '88 (750) swingarm, shock, and all linkage, and bolt on a '93 (750) swingarm, shock, and all linkage. It used the same bolts and all.

But I don't know that this is the right way to do it. I would welcome any and all input!!!

Currently the bike is more-or-less disassembled (probably bolt it back together this weekend).

·
Registered
412 Posts
dinoracer, do you know if your old shock will fit my 85 750? if so would you be willing to part with it? I'm in serious need of a shock and I just lost a bid on ebay for one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ehy dino,
what you need to do is put the original stuff back on the bike, get the ass end off teh ground and let the swingarm hang down so the rear wheel can go to a full drop. measure this point to the ground using the axle as a reference point. then bolt teh new swingarm on with the axle located in the same spot. hook up the shock and stuff also. then measure the distance freom the axle to the ground. now you go and measure the length of the dog bones. this is what will help keep the static rake of the bike what it is supposed to be. if this is off, it can radically alter the geomoetry and handling of your bike. and i will thorow in the most imortant tip that doug gave me........this could perminantly cancel your ticket, if you know what i mean. let me know if you have any other questions. remember, i am not real familiar with your exact frame. 88 750's are slightly diff that mine..........so good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We checked the swingarm today and there is no problems with clearance. It is a DIRECT Boltup on the 88 frame. The shock, swingarm, dogbones, and eccentric are all from a 93 750 and its sweet looking. Unfortunately the pipe hides most of it but performance should be better (Stiffer). As soon as we get this thing together I will make Dinoracer take some pics.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Okay again I think Mr Gixxer should start a file in mods or something as changing swingarms on early gixxers seems to be very popular, anyway if your model has dogbones the swap is easy and I would say probably a bolt on, if you do not have dogbones then your bike has the eccentric bushing and you need to change over to the dogbone style and this means making custom dogbones and a new bushing that is non eccentric.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yep, Doug just said what I was going to say....
-Karl

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are nearly done with building Dinoracers bike.
88 GSXR750 Frame.
94 GSXR1100 tranny
95 Katana Crank
98 1200 Bandit cylinders, Pistons, and Con Rods.
88 750 Slingshot head.
95 RF900 Forks. (KYB's)With Progressive springs and Racetech cartridges.
93 750 GSXR Bananna swingarm.
88 Endurance headlight setup on a stock upper.
01 R6 LED Tailight worked into a 94 tailsection.
95 Suzuki 17" wheels with 180-17 Rear and 120-17 Front wheels.
Holeshot Performance Exhaust Pipe
And when its done its gonna be BLACK!

Motor on this thing is STRONG!

I know "It doesnt have it till you see pics". Let us finish it first! Then we will take pics and post em.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pictures will be posted soon. I stole his thunder by postiong this soi i might catch shit for it

Oh well

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Originally posted by doug:
Okay again I think Mr Gixxer should start a file in mods or something as changing swingarms on early gixxers seems to be very popular, anyway if your model has dogbones the swap is easy and I would say probably a bolt on, if you do not have dogbones then your bike has the eccentric bushing and you need to change over to the dogbone style and this means making custom dogbones and a new bushing that is non eccentric.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes I will elaborate on all the mods when I get the bike finished

www.gixxer.com/oldskool/index.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts