Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might sound unusual, however how much torque/tension/resistance should there be on the oil pump shaft once the water pump has been removed?
Found some bright and shinnies in the oil, a little too much to ignore anymore, and when I drained the coolant into a container I came across a few pieces of black metal, a couple as big as a peppercorn. Now, there wasn't a lot in the coolant, and it was not contaminated with oil or vise versa, but there's obviously an issue somewhere. I think I've traced the glittery oil to the cam journals and cam hold downs, they have some marks I don't like, however I've never seen metal in coolant before.
I removed the water pump (without breaking it tyvm) and inspected the impeller etc and have found nothing wrong there.
I've often wondered about an oil flow/pressure issue as previously I've seen different color oils (1 dark 1 light) in different pockets in the head under the valve cover even tho the oil pressure is within spec.
As with our old race car, I was thinking of priming the oil system and confirm good volume/flow from the oil galleries we could see and when trying to turn the oil pump shaft, just about broke my wrist. The drill spun instead of the shaft, I gotta say I wasn't expecting that to happen at all.
Should it spin pretty easily? The pan/filter/sensor are all still in the engine, there can't be any residual pressure inline somewhere is there? Is the pump toast? I really wasn't interested in splitting the cases to confirm what I fear the most, the by-product of splitting the cases is the 750 lump will end up as a paperweight and me looking for a 1000 or 1100 engine for this thing. Maybe 1 of the 1150 ef engines I have in a corner.....
Any suggestions, insight?
I measured the cam journals and lobes, and they are within spec however the journals have lines in them and the cams are close to being out of spec. I don't know what kind of life this old girl had before I got it, but I've been beating her up pretty good for 2 years now. For an $800 basket, it doesn't owe me anything at this point.
Any suggestions are welcome,
thanks

·
Juvenile Thinker
292 Posts
The oil pump is gear driven off the transmission input shaft via the crank. You can't turn it without turning the crank, don't think your drill would have enough torque to do that. The oil pump drives the water pump, not the other way around. If you have no oil in your coolant, or coolant in your oil, then you have two different issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts