1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay does any one know the following?

1. can a new model gsxr600 swing arm be mounted to a 9211oo
2. If so how difficult will it be
3. What performance engine kits are availble to keep displacement the same, and where can I get them

Thank you
ps.please

------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
A local tech her put a 99 GSXR750 swingarm on his 98 GSXR1100. Don't know all that he had to do to get it done, but it shortened his wheel base by about 3 or 4 inches.

"Performance engine kits?" Not sure what you are talking about, expain more please.

David

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the RGV tail section on my 88 GSXR750.

As far as motorwork, why not bore it?

I am assuming you have a good pipe and jet kit.

Cams are and easy tune up (Degreed also)

Dyno 2000 ignitions system,with coils, and wires.

There are others but depends on how much you want to spend, and how far into the motor you want to go.

Pictures of my bike are at the bottom of my web page, as well as some mods that I did.
www.geocities.com/superbike00

David

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few years back yohimura offerd complete kits for the engine,i.e. pistons, crank, cams,etc. to up power and performance, bacically, I was wondering what I can do do short of sending the engine to be bored and stroked to attain more power. And as for the swing arm I am intending to make this bike into something I dont relly know what yet I have my eye on some rgv plastic from air tech.

------------------

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like, your pics you can check mine out under members rides here at gixxer.com I;m on page two under Karl J. I don't mind delving too deap into the engine, haven't really put a price on what I want to spen I figured I can find deals and stop when I am happy. I have a couple more questions for you,
1. how much work was it to mount the SRAD body work(I wouln't mind going that route.)
2. do you have any swing arms or know of anyone with one that can mount fairly easily
3. how familair are you eith air box set ups
ps. I have a full yosh race exaust and a stage two jet kit,which i will be rediong this summer
thanks, Karl

------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
How much work to mount---- Not that hard, you need the following though
1) Main Fairing stay off of a SRAD (metal or plastic will work)
2) Head light
3) Upper Fairings and Lower's

Fairing stay bolts right up holes match and everything, lowers had to cut holes where the engine covers stick out and make them bigger, if you look closly at the pictures you cans see what im talking about. Then I just had to make 2 brackets on both sides one for the top and one for the bottom of the side fairings. Hardest part was cutting out the plastic sides fairings to fit, but even that was not that hard.

I don't have any swing arms, I will ask my friend how hard it was to mount the SRAD arm on his 1100

??? How Familair am I with either air box set up ??? don't understand what you are asking. Im Head Suzuki Technician at a dealership, if you have a question ask?

David

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I didn't have the thought clear in my mind as I am constantly between working going to school and training and working on getting engaged so on so forth, I would like to fabricate an airbox for my gixxer.
And as for the performance aspect conciveable I am around 130-135rear wheel horse power and I would like to be aroun 170bhp. I am going to endeavor to try and do most of this my self do to the budget constraints of a college student.
Looks wise I really like what you have done with your bike and I think i will do something simallar
Now that I know your a excellent source of info I can form better questions.
Thanks....
Karl

------------------

·
Registered
52 Posts
on the 92 1100 the first thing I would do short of building into a big bore, is put a set of Mikuni RS on it, get rid of the air box, and run ind. filters. Go for a DYNA 2000 ignition, DYNA coils, and wires, with some good NGK plugs. Put a DYNA pick up on it as well.
With the swingarm, what are you wanting? Length or shorter arm?
You can check out my pic of the bike on members rides, gixer.com under Newssom Racing.

------------------
Indiana Performance Cycle, INC.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have mikuni's already with k&n's and ngk race plugs and a stsage 2 jet kit and a full yosh race pipe. I want to shorten the wheel base I just got a 96gsxr750 swing arm i want to mount it and i need some help.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
he meant mikuni smoothbores, not the stock mikunis. 38mm smoothbores will work well with that motor, don't go any larger unless you've got internal work.

and unless your bike has enough serious motor mods to warrant it, don't run racing plugs on the street - they won't give you any power increase, they'll foul very quickly (due to them being a MUCH colder plug than what came stock) , and they're expensive as hell.

if you want to keep the displacement the same (unless you're really strapped for cash, a bump in displacement will give you very noticeable power gains, and that 1127 motor just begs to be bumped up), degree the cams or drop in a set of stage 1's (i hear web cams are very good). that and the 38mm smoothbores will give you a nice boost.

it won't get you to 170 but with some porting and a valve job it may be attainable.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 03-04-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Agree with Jeff (usually a safe bet lol).

If you're low on cash, you might want to save any head work for last, simply because to do a good job you'll be talking a new set of valve springs (stock) to replace your current tired ones, new valves (stainless) because your stockers probably wouldn't respond well to machining, then who knows what your clearances would be on the guides.

If you can't afford a top shop to do the boring work, don't bother having new liners put in, just increase to the max allowable for the current ones. A poor job of installing new liners will plague you forever, big time.

In actual fact, I'd wait until a couple of the pressing time things you've got on the go are done, then with your extra personal ram, brainstorm what you're after and price it out. If you do go nuts on the pistons, compression etc etc, I'd be tempted to get your crank out to someone like APE to balance etc. Don't want all the big power from up above beating the shit out of the older stuff down below without a checkup.

Excellent machine to hotrod, just don't go cheap and do it methodically.

IMHO, forget the extra swingarm you've got. I'd either go for the matching 750 arm for the year, or get your current one machined.
If you shorten up too many inches, you completely fuck up the bikes anti-squat ability etc with the angles you enforce with such a sprocket/chain/swingarm pivot setup.

You can't make a short wheelbase bike out of a '92 1100. Its about 58.5" stock so I would strongly advise going any more than 2 inches shorter max (including axle position). You'd do better to raise the ass with a decent shock and pull the forks up a few mm (in conjunction with a decent steering damper).

If you're after drag style, shortening will really slow the bike down.

Just my 2 cents

------------------
Fat Bastard's bike: '93 GSXR1100wp CDN version w/ thoroughly ridiculous # of mods :)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not really after drag style looks I think i can take the mounting of my 1100 arm and have it welded to the where the mounting of the 750 should have been if there is no other recourse. As far as the motor mods go thank you I will head said advice and wait until, I can pick aup a different job(i.e.more money on semester break.) I am going after more looks mods right now, and am still prett intent on the 750 arm, if not possible (polished 750 best offer...)
thanks, Karl

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
As mentioned STICK with the 750 swingarm for the same year model -- it is a bolt on. Keep in mind that NOW the bike's geometry HAS changed...dramatically. So a new shock with adjustable ride height would help...

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All right I am sold Iam going to aquire a 92Gsxr750 swing arm and save my self a bif fraggin headache of trying to get evverything to line up with the 96m arm thanks guys I am convinced now

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts