Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just reading another thread about upgrading Gixxer 1000s to have 929rr front calipers. Has anyone done this to a 96-99 gixxer? I'd really like to do it, but don't know if it will work the same as on the 1Ks. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If I remember correct... From other posts we have found that it isnt a direct bolt on... Not to sure... But you could get the same thing from a set of 4 pots off of a 97-00 gsxr 600.. They work very nice...

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do the 4pots make that much of a difference compared to the 6? i'm looking for the best brakes up front that i can get for it.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well first off... Why do you want THE BEST YOU CAN GET??? Are you racing?? Stunting??

Anyhow... Do you have SS lines?? What pads?? What fluid???

I think that the 4 pots are the best for the money... But you could go with something like 8 pot brembo (sp) or something...

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no racing, just stunnin with occasional twisties. Currently it has steel braided lines and the rest is stock. OEM pads.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Maybe you should try HH pads... They make a BIG change in the bike..

Also the 4 pots from the 600 are great!! use them with some HH pads and your set.

John

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
I'll be installing a set of 929 calipers in the next week or so. They are currently in transit to me.
I can't wait to see what the difference is, if there is any

It's not a direct bolt on, but it you have any mechanical ability with modifying things then it shouldn't be a problem. I know I'll have no problems

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by skidmark:
ya, but I'm vain and the 929 calipers are gold
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey more power to you!!
I know how it is to have something that looks good...
I just had the ones from a 600 and it didnt cost me anything more then fluid to change them..

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool, thanks for the advice guys, i'll start looking for some 4pots of a 600.

But curious, why would the 4pot 600 brakes be better than the 6pot 750s?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
the 4 pot has more piston surface area... This would make more brake power to the rotor, even if it has less pad area...

I also think it might have something to do with the smaller pads cooling off faster?? not to sure.

John

·
Registered
330 Posts
What would you reccommend for fluid???

Also, aren't HH pads really hard on rotors? or is that the sintered ones?

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
TGSXR said:

What would you reccommend for fluid???

Also, aren't HH pads really hard on rotors? or is that the sintered ones?

thanks
HH pads are sintered...

I have been running HH pads for about 40K miles and I still have my stock rotors... Dont worry about it..

For fluid, easy to find stuff... Motul RBF600...

John

·
Registered
900 Posts
The brake pads that are the hardest on rotors are the stock items. My rear has been warped since I got it and the stock pads have eaten all the meat from the disc. Bendix are also a little too much like sandpaper for my liking as a set of those put a lip on my fronts. Since I've had the EBC they sound like they are grinding the disc away but don't seem to be. I think it's cause the pads are much softer and wear first

1 - 15 of 15 Posts