Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completely drained the system took it apart and blew out the lines needless to say it was pretty dirty. After I put everything back together I did not see any bubbles in the rear brake reservoir while pumping the brake pedal. I was using the bleed screw on the front only. i’m not getting anything. I tried to vacuum and also wasn’t pulling although when I put air into the bleeder screw bubbles came up to the reservoir. I just noticed a Another bleeder nipple on the other half of the caliber do I need to bleed this side also. Could this be the problem or is it the master cylinder. Bike only has 5100 miles

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've just done the rear caliper on my 91 1100, they should be pretty much the same.

I've found that the vacuum pump is good for getting things started and then I switch to the normal pump lever, crack nipple, close nipple, pump lever routine.
I found the vacuum pump to be a bit misleading as theres still bubbles that get drawn in around the nipple threads. I only used one bleed nipple on the rear caliper?
I bled the system fairly quickly after using the vacuum pump to get it started.

Not quite sure from what you described how your bleeding the system exactly?

Liam

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using the hand vacuum pump but wasn't drawing any fluid but I just ordered a air vacuum pump so we'll see. Worse case I'll order a rebuild kit for the master. Thanks for mthe reply.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
i'm not sure what problem you are experiencing? bleeding brakes is straight-forward, and yes, you do need to bleed both caliper nipples. hand-held vacuum pumps are excellent tools.

is the system pushing brake fluid? if not, sounds like you might have a defective master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
5,443 Posts
If the master cylinder and caliper have never been apart, they need a rebuild. Disassemble both of them, clean everything and re-assemble. If there is any visible wear on the rubber parts, replace them.

If the hose is original, replace it. Suzuki's suggested replacement interval was 2 years. We usually go longer than that but 2 decades or more is pushing it.

You bleed from both screws. Bleed the closest one to the caliper fluid inlet first, then the other, then the first again. Etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
dontilgon1
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing