Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 usd forks on \'86 gsxr11

i have just picked up some USD's from a '91 gsxr11, they are going on my '86 gsxr11, what does the swap involve?/

i have everything from the stem forward (wheel, brakes, everything)
Thanks
gerry

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Re: 91 usd forks on \'86 gsxr11

if you have the whole front end, then its pretty much a straight swap. remove the triples, attach the new ones, done.

If I'd do it again, I wouldnt bother with the OC/WC front ends.

Get a 00+ front end. Youll spend the same, and have a 10+years newer front end.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

mmm.... the 00+ front end is not a bolt on. must mod your original stem to make it fit the new lower triple. That and a small busing on the top triple and youre done.

WELL worth the trouble IMHO....

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

Dont forget that you have to remove the steering stops from lower tree & you will lose your steering lock. A good machinist can install your lock into the lower tree though. I had my '87
equipped with '92 usd fork's. You will have to modify ignition switch as well because it will hit the headlight bucket as well. Not hard to do though! Other than that it's a bolt on?

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts

if it's a 91-92 USD oil-cooled steering stem, it will have the same steering stop as the first generation gsxr's; no need to grind off the steering stops. only the water-cooled models have the different steering stops.

the 86-87's bigger ignition swicth will bolt-on to the top triple with only one bolt. although, you might have to enlarge the top triple's ignition hole a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.