Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this sad project for $100. PO said it had "no spark." It's missing parts, no wheels, etc.

Threw some oil in the cylinders, new plugs, metered coils and pickup (one coil input slightly out of spec,) and checked spark on all 4 and it was present. Cleaned the jets, bench synced the carbs, and ran a gravity feed to the bike and it fired up absolutely effortlessly. Screws are out 2.5 turns with the exception of one that has a missing head . . . not sure where its at, but I assume around 3 turns because that's where they were when I received the bike. Jets are stock sizes.

When I start the bike it revs up SUPER high immediately - even with the choke off and throttle cable disconnected - forcing me to kill the engine. The bike is missing its air filter and the airbox ducts are not attached. I didn't plug the vacuum tube on the carb (#2 I think?)

I've already purchased the following:

Carb rebuild kit
Aftermarket Coils
Airbox Clamps
Air Filter
Spark Plugs (Not sure if the auto store cross referenced my plugs correctly and internet was giving mixed results so I'm getting some JR9C)
Aftermarket Intake Boots W/Orings

I'm assuming my issue is due to an air leak - probably around the intake boots? Not really sure why Suzuki digs using o-ring type boots, but thank god these are available aftermarket for the GSXRs. I remember spending around $60 each for OEM SV650 ones...

Anyways - I'm not rushing rushing to work on this project so I figured I would ask here for second opinions so I can have some ideas once all of my parts decide to arrive. :smile:

·
Registered
60 Posts
JR9C is correct for an 89. Your bike has an upgraded swinging arm - nice.

Does not sound like an air leak to me. However if it is, removing 1 plug cap at a time will find which cylinder it is on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check your float settings and make sure they aren't leaking raw fuel into the intakes.
Check your idle speed screw to make sure it isn't set high.
And when you cleaned / bench synched, did you separate the carbs at all? If so, make sure you have the linkages mated correctly.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I had no idea the swingarm was non-stock :eek:.

I will be rebuilding the carbs soon so hopefully I'll find the culprit. The carbs were surprisingly clean on the inside. I'll check the float height when this is performed. I just wanted to see if the bike ran so I could determine whether or not its worth keeping. WoT may be a bit of an exaggeration, but its definitely a high enough RPM to be a definite concern. I had a SV650 that idled high and it was due to an intake leak/bad o-rings under the intakes.

Idle speed screw was completely removed from the bike while testing. Adjusting it out didn't seem to make any difference so I removed it completely. The throttle plate was not jammed.

When I cleaned/synced I did not separate the carbs.

I'll report back once my kit comes in and I do some digging. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
[email protected]
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing