Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently picked up an 89' gsxr 1100 it was bored to a 1300 and hasn't run in 12 years. It has Keihin CR Sudco carbs and a yoshi exhaust.

Is there anything specific that I should look out for while going through this bike and getting it road worthy? I have made many things that have sat run but never a sport bike. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That looks like some old school fun when you get it running!

Obviously fluids, some new shoes and maybe check the integrity of the extended swing arm...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like some old school fun when you get it running!

Obviously fluids, some new shoes and maybe check the integrity of the extended swing arm...
Checking that swing arm is definitely high on the list. I haven't spotted any stress cracks or anything yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definitely put some air filters on that thing. Running just velocity stacks alone will kill the motor in short period of time. I think looking out for basic stuff like checking for rust in the gas tank (if there's any you want to deal with that first), put in some new inline fuel filters (pingel filters are great), and general tune up stuff (plugs, oil, carb sync etc.). I might also consider going through everything and retorquing all the bolts. For example, on the bike I bought, the triple tree bolts that secures the fork tubes were falling out. I caught it by pure luck. Looks like it's in great shape for sitting for 12 years. Nice find!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely put some air filters on that thing. Running just velocity stacks alone will kill the motor in short period of time. I think looking out for basic stuff like checking for rust in the gas tank (if there's any you want to deal with that first), put in some new inline fuel filters (pingel filters are great), and general tune up stuff (plugs, oil, carb sync etc.). I might also consider going through everything and retorquing all the bolts. For example, on the bike I bought, the triple tree bolts that secures the fork tubes were falling out. I caught it by pure luck. Looks like it's in great shape for sitting for 12 years. Nice find!
I wasn't sure if those stacks were good or not I'll definitely look for a nice air cleaner set up, and a re-torque is definitely a great idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts