Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one might know this one. I have problems when idleing (sometimes it does some times it want's to stall, %50 of the time I'm in stop and go trafic so I'm guessing heat is half of the problem.). When I rev it the light's get brighter. On my 82 GS 750 it was the regulator/rectifier. This thing has an altenator. I've tracked down the part # for the regulator, but some one said it would be the rectifier. Where the hell does one get one of those. A friend of a local speed shop says he has the hole altenator for a 87/88 Katana 600. Will that work? Any help would really kick ass...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess it would help if I mentioned it's an 89 750...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why do you assume the stalling is from your alternator not putting out?

If you aren't having dead or low battery problems I doubt your alternator is in bad shape.

Can you tell us anything else about your problem? Does it sputter and die? Does it only die at idle? You mention it only dies when real hot? Fill us in with many more details so we can try and help out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I notice my gague cluster is dim at idle, head lights aswell. And the turn signals do not blink at idle, I have to rev it to get them to blink. One of the turn light's also blew prety quick too (the flush mounts were from another bike so they have about 4 months of use on them). The battery is brand new. I did run the battery low trying to start it when I was bulding it, and we did boost it alot (used another bike). Ummm can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the battery while it's running at idle then at RPM. You should have at least 13V at idle and roughly 14 - 15 at RPM. Still won't point directly to the alternator but will help some of the techs on the board.

cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts