Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will my stock brake calipers work if i change forks to 89-91 style? I am putting 17 inch wheels on it!!! Any info would be appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
yes they will work but i have found that you either have to remove your brake pads or remove the brake rotors to remove the front wheel. theres just not enough room between the caliper and the wheel to get it out.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Um without Hijacking your thread

Im about to (attempt) to put a 1997 front and rear end on my 87/1100 for same reasons... USD forks and 17" wheels...

Anyone done anything like that or know what the main hurdles/mods are likey to be ??

*looks hopefull*

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by GetafixOz:
Um without Hijacking your thread

Im about to (attempt) to put a 1997 front and rear end on my 87/1100 for same reasons... USD forks and 17" wheels...

Anyone done anything like that or know what the main hurdles/mods are likey to be ??

*looks hopefull*
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've seen an old skooler with a 96/97/98/99 swingarm on it...I don't know how much machining was needed. The bearings on the 97 forks are a different size because of the aluminum steer tube on the triple clamp...it is a bigger diameter than the steel steer on the 85-95's...you'll just have to make one of the bearing races larger on the head of the frame.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Sheet that dont sound too bad... I had all sorts of horror visions...

But everytime I look at that 190 rear tyre and compare it to my current half sucked strip of liquorice I just know I have to make it work

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have an 86 750 with a 90 swingarm and 97 forks on the front. To fit the forks you will need to make a new stem shaft, the 97 uses axial ball bearings not tapered roller bearings. Swaping to the axial ball bearings will not work on your frame the upper bearing is the same dia as the lower, and you can not machine out the frame that much. The other problem is the speedo all late model gixxers use eletronic speedos and the 320 discs are flat not dished to clear the speedo drive. The solution I came up with because I did not want to change the gauges is to use a Kawasaki wheel and 320 Kawa discs and the Kawa speedo drive its the same ratio as the suzuki one and the axle dia is the same. Had to do some minor machinging to line the brakes up perfectly and to centre the wheel with the speedo drive.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just swapped over an entire 94 front end. six pots and all.

using the stock master cylinder, these are the best brakes I have ever experienced(1 finger stopping from any speed). And I still have the rubber lines from the 94.

The only thing I did not get were the rotors, and I found the 86 320mm rotors have a different bolt pattern, so I found some 88 750 rotors that work just fine.(88-95 750 and 89-98 1100 rotors will work)

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
If you already bought the parts you'll just have to do the machining.

Otherwise I suggest what the rest of us done...Those fork tubes probably will fit in the 91-95 750 triple clamps (aka yolks)

I put a complete 94' 750 front end and 92 600 gixxer wheels. I have EBC rotors but you can use the rotors from any of the 750's from 88 to 95 , 1100's from 88 to what, was 98 the last year of the 1100? And the early 90's 600's. They have to be the offset mounted rotors, not the flat rotors like on the current bikes.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have a 91/92 1100 tripple tree with a polished top clamp if anybody wants it...
-Karl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts