Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '89 750 has a problem that is driving me nuts. It has a new battery, and I am positive that the alternator is charging.
Problem is, I charge the battery, and it starts and runs great.
Then, after I ride it for about a mile, it starts to run like crap, and it dies. It'll crank for about ten seconds worth, and then the battery is dead. I can recharge it and repeat the whole cycle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. Here's an update on this problem. Turns out I have two different problems altogether.
The reason that the battery keeps dying on me is that for some reason when I have the headlights plugged in, I have a direct short somewhere in the circuit. If I disconnect the positive battery lead, and hook a voltmeter in line between the battery and the cable, it shows 12.8 volts, meaning I have a serious draw. If I unplug the headlights, the problem goes away. As long as I have the headlights plugged in, the short stays there. I pulled ALL the fuses, and disconnected the headlight switch, and the short is still there until I unplug the headlights. Weird.
The running problem is as soon as the bike warms up. After about a mile or so, it starts to lose all it's power, sputters, and eventually dies. It won't restart until it cools off. Could this be a problem with the signal generator or ignitor?
Runs fine once it cools off again.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I would double-check the charging system... I think ya hafta use an ohmmeter to check for shorts like that, not a voltmeter, but I'm no electrician.

As for the running problem, I had the exact same problem caused by a crimped fuel line... it wasn't crimped but rather had a sharp bend to make and what would happen is as soon as the engine heat warmed up the tubing, it would fold over and starve... after the tubing was cold, it would un-crimp itself... drove me crazy til I figured it out. take a close look at your fuel lines, there's not much space in there and they have to be routed *just* right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Ballz750:
The reason that the battery keeps dying on me is that for some reason when I have the headlights plugged in, I have a direct short somewhere in the circuit. If I disconnect the positive battery lead, and hook a voltmeter in line between the battery and the cable, it shows 12.8 volts, meaning I have a serious draw. If I unplug the headlights, the problem goes away. As long as I have the headlights plugged in, the short stays there. I pulled ALL the fuses, and disconnected the headlight switch, and the short is still there until I unplug the headlights. Weird.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">is this with the ignition on or off?

double check the charging system.....it could be either not charging the battery enough, or overcharging it. run the voltmeter across the battery terminals with the motor revving past 5000rpm....you should get a charging voltage somewhere between 14.5-15 volts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is with the ignition on or off. I am charging 14.9 volts at 5,000 RPM. Anybody know a better way to test the signal generator than with an ohmeter?
I'm a car mechanic for a living, and I've learned taht resistance tests aren't too reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts