Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 89 1100 the other day.......being winter up here in Maine right now I havent ridden it yet. I also own a 87 1100......so what I'm wondering is the 89 quicker or more sluggish or what? I've heard a few opinions.........what should I expect as far as differences.

dare I say it in this forum but I also own a 96 zx9-r......how would my new old school gix match up with the team green in the garage??

thanks guys1012875345.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Basically, the 89 model had the 1127 motor fitted which packs a mighty 143bhp (at the crank) as opposed to around 100ish for the old 97 model.

Torque figures are greatly improved also so you should find that the later K (89) is a fair deal quicker than the old slabside.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the 87 750 had around 100-105 at the crank, the 1100 more like 120-125.....these bikes were choked by their stock airboxes and exhausts. with carbs and a pipe set up right, you can get an extra 15hp easy....

the 89 has a bigger and torquier motor, but it also carries a little more weight as well.

chassiswise there's not much of a comparison, but with the first generation gsxr's you get more of a feeling that you're sitting in the bike rather than on it.

the brakes on the 89 are also substantially better...you'll also appreciate being able to select from a wider variety of tires thanks to the 89's 17 inch wheels.

either one will be good for some shits and giggles, though.....

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: jeff ]</p>

·
Registered
434 Posts
You will find an interesting tuning article by englands top tuners at www.robbynitroz.nl then go to the boulevard page. articles supertune time covers 750 and 1100 and the various years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by doug:
You will find an interesting tuning article by englands top tuners at www.robbynitroz.nl then go to the boulevard page. articles supertune time covers 750 and 1100 and the various years.<hr></blockquote>

Doug,

Sven here, have not been here for a while, just surfed in and saw your reply to the post. Have you sold your bike yet? and whats your phone #. Email me to [email protected]. I am trying to find 1100 cams that will fit my 91 750 top end. I am searching for help from anyone that knows what year for sure will drop in.

Sven

I am

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The 1100 1989 is way better than the '87.
try it and see !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts