Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sitting drained for years, I tried to fuel my 88 GSXR 1100j.
I got a flood of fuel from a float bowl drain! I tightened the drain screw as much as I dare. Still it leaks real bad.
I pulled the carbs and looked at the float, needle and seat.
They seem fine.
Im looking for an Educated response to this problem.
Any Ol school guys in the know out there?
Regards~ Jim

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
how about the bowl gasket.? is it done or what. make sure its not from the carb overflow

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You might try switching float bowls just to see if its the screw or float bowl . If I were you , since you have the carbs off, I would go through them and give them a good cleaning. Be sure to check float levels. [14.6mm] . Its a good idea to bench test carbs with a remote gas bottle before reinstalling.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I pulled all the needles and seats.
Ran fuel thru the carbs. Reassembelled the carbs, making sure that everything went back into the correct holes. I also checked for a bad float.
All leaking has stopped, a slight bit of moisture is showing in the throat of nunber 2 carb.
Just enough to show its wet.
When I check the float levels , do I measure from the bottom of the carb body to the top of the float?
I never set up a Suzuki 4 cylinder before
Thank you for ALL the help! Regards~ Jim

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
This is from my book (sorry for the bad scan, but the .pdf is a little rough), but it shows where to get your measurement...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Be sure to hold the carbs [when checking float levels] at just the right angle to prevent the weight of the float from compressing the needle. It sounds like the number 2 carb is still overflowing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IT LIVES! It fired rite up! like it had never been put away! Befoe I go any farther, I want to say THANK YOU! to ALL who helped! The float Graphic helped!
It pays to use 'Sta-bil' and drain, then run the carbs dry!
I removed the offending needle and seat. Then ran gas thru the carb. Reinstalled the carbs back on the bike (after checking the float levels). I still need to sync. them. How do you get to the vacume ports to screw-in adapters to sync. the carbs? Everything Ive done in the past has been with the vacume ports on top of the carbs, not underneath! What monometer do you like to use? Are there special tools required to adjust the carbs?

The carb's have K&N pod filters and a kit of some kind. 140 main jets, instead of 130's. The idel screws, the ones you have to remove the 'plug' to get to, have the plugs removed.

I want to make some more power, BUT no more noise! Bigger carbs?
It has a V&H exhaust on it and its loud! Even after repacking!
I want to Graft a Yamaha FZ-1 muffler to the V&H pipe.
ILL need to fab a Mid-pipe to mate the two together.
Noise attracts Cops like Blood in a Shark tank!
Thanks Again! Regards~ Jim

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There is some large phillips head screws up under the intake horn of the carbs. There is also some special 5mm hollow adapters that screw into those removed Phillips. Then your sync tool hoses slip on the adapters. I use the old mercury sticks. BTW, there is also some copper washers on the large phillips head. Be careful cause they will stick to the carb and then fall off. And a magnet won't help cause there copper..lol.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do I get the Special hollow adapters?
The fellow that owned the bike prior to me, has short sections of vacume line attached where those phillips head screws are located, with phillips screws in the ends of the vacume lines.
Regards~ Jim

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am not sure but I think parts unlimited has them. The longs ones are for the inside carbs. They don't have to be this set. Just be sure to get 5mm. [image]
[/image]

·
Registered
303 Posts
looks like

5mm brass tubing (hobby store)
m5x.8 die
m5x.8 nuts..

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey! Thank you for taking time to help me!
Ill go to my Favorite parts people and have a peek in their 'Parts Unlimited 'cataloge.
Wonder why yje guy that owned this bike, had the vacume lines attached to the carb
tuning ports?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hey! Thank you for taking time to help me!
Ill go to my Favorite parts people and have a peek in their 'Parts Unlimited 'cataloge.
Wonder why yje guy that owned this bike, had the vacume lines attached to the carb
tuning ports?
I am not sure what you are talking about, but you only need one vac line to open the petcock? And thats provided elsewhere on the carbs?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Roger,
The vacume lines I was asking about, are located in the carb throats.
They are, after looking at a Parts Unlimited Cataloge, adapters to allow carb. sync.
The guy that owned the bike before me installed them.
The 5mm pan screw that screws into the adapter port, is on the end of each short section adapter.
How do you mate the sync. tool hoses to these? A double male?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Roger,
The vacume lines I was asking about, are located in the carb throats.
They are, after looking at a Parts Unlimited Cataloge, adapters to allow carb. sync.
The guy that owned the bike before me installed them.
The 5mm pan screw that screws into the adapter port, is on the end of each short section adapter.
How do you mate the sync. tool hoses to these? A double male?
I think I understand what you are describing. Why can't you remove the screws and put the sync hoses over the adaptors?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because the adapters are the same size as the hose!
But you bring up a good point, I could get bigger hoses!
Thanks Roger!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts