Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
bandit gearbox and gsxr head timing chain

i am currently building a new motor consisting of a 1200 bandit gearbox, 1216 wiseco pistons and 1127 GSXR barrels and head, cams etc
all seems well the barrels have obviously been bored and the head is on, i had to change the cam sprockets for bandit ones to match the multiplate timing chain that was in the gearbox and it is ready to have the rocker cover bolted on and be installed in my 86 slabby streetfighter

i am slightly concerned however with the amount of play on the timing chain. it has the gsxr adjuster and i honestly cant remember if the guides i fitted were gsxr or bandit but there is far more play in the chain than i expected and was wondering if anyone has done this before and had a similar problem or if its anything t o worry about?

·
The other OG
6,334 Posts
buy 2 sets gsxr,bandit and use the lesser play in the chain

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm chasing something in particular in differences mainly, but I've been told that a 87 gsxr750 frame is heaps lighter than 87 1100, I do realise that there will be difference in weight but wondering if any one knows particulars, be it with swingarm and rear suspension or just the frame?? Thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
an old trick I'm sure many of you guys already might know, but in regards to aftermarket or oem parts, whether it be fork seals, bearings, brake pads, etc. an easy way to check for compatibility is by looking at aftermarket part numbers. for example, in the event that you're at a dealership and have to order your fork seals since they don't have some on hand. look at that aftermarket part number and go through the list of bike makes and models in the parts catalog and find some that use the same part number. bingo, that bike's OEM fork seals will work on your bike, and chance are those OEM parts might be on hand. sometimes it comes out even cheaper. I've got fork oil and dust seals from a 2011 Honda CBR 1000 on my 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
So I read the interchange info, and just wanted to make sure I understand correctly.

I have an 89 1100 and the nose cone (upper) has had some poor repairs Before I owned it and it's not a good piece for resto.

A few questions/confirmations

1. I can use a slingshot 750 upper as long as I also use 750 mids?

2. The lowers are the same 750 and 1100 except for location of bolt holes to connect to mids?

3. I will need to fill the excisting bolt holes on lowers, and drill new ones to line up with 750 mids? Or does it make more sense to drill mids to fit lowers?

4. The interchange info mentions bar clearance issues? I assume that's trying to put 1100 fairing on a 750 as they have lower bars? So going 750 fairing on an 1100 shouldn't be an issue?

Thanks for looking, any other info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
856 Posts
didn't see it here so ill post since I just discovered it

- regarding the rear brake, the master cylinder is pretty much universal between all oil-cooled GSXR's, all years bandit 6 and 12's, and rf 600 and 900's from '94-'97

- the rear caliper is identical between all oil-cooled gsxr's. its been mentioned that sv650 rear caliper bolts on, which means '99-'02 sv650 and '98-'06 kat 600 and 750 rear calipers will work since they all use the same hanger. I could bet money that the RF's and bandits also are interchangeable since they look nearly identical. the early katana caliper WILL NOT work since they were mounted above the swing arm, when rotated below the swingarm the connector for the torque arm will be on the opposite side.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Updated Parts Interchange: 88-92 750 and 89-92 1100

If you have something to add post a reply and I will add it to the List. I know with a lttle work ANYTHING can be adapted but this is more for the Direct swaps.

Engines:
All swap. Air/Oil is Air /Oil be it 600, 750 or 1200 Bandit, 600, 750 or 1100 Katana, or 750 or 1100 GSXR.

Here's a chart for wheel swaps.........
I cannot source another GSXR 750 91 so I am looking for options. Has to be a 750 otherwise will need re-vin.

So far, based on some posts here and some research (which is attached as images) I can only say:

Electrics, coils, crankcase, mounts, intake boots, carb slignment are the same on 88, 89, 90, 91 and 92.
But then the individual carb bodies seems to be the same just on 91 and 91.

Could anyone confirm if my 91 carb could work on a 88, 89, 90 or 92 engine?
Or if there is anything I am missing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please confirm. I have a 1989 Gsxr750 that i am building into a race bike. I want to run 180 rear slicks on 5.5 inch rear wheel.
Can i run any gsxr600, 750, 1100 rear wheels 1990-1995? As long as I run the equivalent cush drive?

Any other concerns or requirements?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the gixxer life trying to find a better exhaust than the stock trying to cool the engine a lil more than what its at atm trying to find a sidewinder but i have a 1998 gsxr1100 and so far no luck on finding basically any parts anyone know what years i can play with to make it work or if there is a way to get aftermarket or custom built. any help is appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts

The rear wheel swap for 1989 Gsxr 750 is not correct. I have used a 1991 1100 wheel with spacers and no problem. 1992 750 rear wheel, 1993 750 rear wheel, and 1994 1100 rear wheels do NOT fit because the brake rotor is offset approximately 12 mm towards the centre line.

In doing the 5.5 inch swap, no water cooled rear works. The 92 and newer oil cooled also do not work with the 89 caliper setup.

The purpose of the 5.5 inch swap is to run 180 modern rubber. You cannot change the rear caliper to compensate and you should not “shim” the rotor because the totor bolts will not have the correct bite or seat properly.

If you place a straight edge on the rotor, that edge will be above the edge of the rims that fit but will be flush with the rims that are not compatible.

The other clue is the rims that fit have the rim information on the face of the rim where the rims that do not bolt in have the info on the spoke.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The rear wheel swap for 1989 Gsxr 750 is not correct. I have used a 1991 1100 wheel with spacers and no problem. 1992 750 rear wheel, 1993 750 rear wheel, and 1994 1100 rear wheels do NOT fit because the brake rotor is offset approximately 12 mm towards the centre line.

In doing the 5.5 inch swap, no water cooled rear works. The 92 and newer oil cooled also do not work with the 89 caliper setup.

The purpose of the 5.5 inch swap is to run 180 modern rubber. You cannot change the rear caliper to compensate and you should not “shim” the rotor because the totor bolts will not have the correct bite or seat properly.

If you place a straight edge on the rotor, that edge will be above the edge of the rims that fit but will be flush with the rims that are not compatible.

The other clue is the rims that fit have the rim information on the face of the rim where the rims that do not bolt in have the info on the spoke.
I'm looking to do a 5,5straight spoke rear swap for my 1988 750 slingshot, would it worked if i used swingarm, wheels, carrier etc from a 94 gsxr 750? That should take care of the brake-fitment but would the rear wheel be centered?

141 - 160 of 160 Posts
About this Discussion
159 Replies
93 Participants
murujune
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing