Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
88\' 750 questions

I am in the midst of buying an 88' 750 with 8200 miles that has only traveled 4000 miles since 1992. There seems to be a lot of upperend noise when warm,clicking and tapping, is this common for these engines?

Anyone have a used 4 into one exhaust for this bike???

Any recommondations on tires, the cuuent ones are from 94' good tread but too old.

Thanks for any help, direct Email to me is fine.........Thanks

Rick

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Re: 88\' 750 questions

Rick, Well, Welcome to the gixxer.com site. I'll try to get you started.

>There seems to be a lot of upper end noise when warm, clicking and tapping, is this common for these engines?
*Yes, it's the cams & valves. It is normal.

>Anyone have a used 4 into one exhaust for this bike???
*Yes, That's probably the first thing to get modified. If you get a new system, PLEASE don't be cheap, get it rejetted with the new system. You will find most of us really like the Hindle product. It's the lightest, makes the most horsepower, is a reasonable price and is very high quality. I have one.

>Any recommondations on tires, the current ones are from '94, good tread but too old.
*Just about any new radial will do just fine. If the sticker under your seat is still there it will have sizes like "Front 120/60zr17 & Rear 160/60zr17". Resist the temptation to put a 200 or too wide a tire in the rear. There are posts you can find with the search feature in the forum, but basicly it screws up the handling going too wide. And the 89 rear wheel is too narrow to mount a wide tire properly anyway. The short list I look for is Dunlop D207, Bridgestone BT-010 (what I have), BT-020, BT-012, Michelin Pilot Sport (STREET compound), and Metzeler Rennsport, ME-Z4, ME-Z3

You'll like the '89 750, but if you look to get the motor modified you will find performance parts very hard to find. The '89 is the second generation "short-stroke" motor. The people that raced it (Yoshimura for example) found that the motor had a very narrow power spread and didn't make as much HP as the original "long-stroke" motor. So Suzuki dropped it after a couple of years and went back to the long-stroke with revised cams (the cams are less than popular)

You'll find lots of help in the forum. If you can't find a previous thread, just feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

Holy Shit!!Just in case you didn't understand the first time..

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

Originally posted by oldgixxer:
Holy Shit!!Just in case you didn't understand the first time..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It was weird last night. I posted once and got instant Post Whore results.

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts

Rick, where are you in Jersey??
I have the Suzuki manual for that same bike if you want it, free....let me know.

steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Simon, thankyou for the insightful reply. Do you know if these 88' 750 engines have threaded rocker adjusters, or are they shim under bucket?

I will go 120 front 160 rear for tires, not sure which aspect ratio yet, those 60 series aspects are kinda short and we have big potholes here in NJ.

I had a Hindle on my FZR 400, liked it a lot....Thats what i'll look for.

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Spike, I'm in Lebanon. Right by Clinton and Round Valley Resevoir. How about you? Thanks for the manual offer thats very generous of you.........

Cheers, Rick

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

Originally posted by RickS:
Simon, thankyou for the insightful reply. Do you know if these 88' 750 engines have threaded rocker adjusters, or are they shim under bucket?

I will go 120 front 160 rear for tires, not sure which aspect ratio yet, those 60 series aspects are kinda short and we have big potholes here in NJ.

I had a Hindle on my FZR 400, liked it a lot....Thats what i'll look for.

Thanks, Rick
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You have the screw type rocker arm adjusters, which are a plus as there are numerous cams avaialble through web, megacyle, ape etc...
Tires I recomend 207RR's or 208 street tires. Perelli Super Corsa's are nice too. Swithching to a 92 750(5.5in) rear tire is a popular mod as well...older gixxers are 2 things primarily:
1: money traps
and
2: blank canvas for modification
see no 1 regarding mods
cheers
-Karl

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

Your 89 should have a 5.5 in wheel so it can take a 190 but a 180 is much better. The "short stroke" motor did not make less HP that the early "long stroke" but it had a low otrque curve and was difficult to ride as it made no power below 4000rpm and this coupled with the short wheelbase (88-89 was short) this was unique to the 88-89 as well. I got my 88 brand new in 88 and switched to a 1100 motor in 90. There was also a Yosh exaust on ebay for a 88-89 and you can find lots of parts if you keep your eyes open I have Yosh rearsets on both my 88 and my 90. My 88 has USD forks and a 93 750 swingarm with a Fox Shock and SRS link with aftermarket wheels and my 90 is getting 01 1000 forks and wheels and a 750 swingarm with a Ohlins shock. The parts are out there if you keep your eyes open.
Bones

1 - 9 of 9 Posts