2,491 Posts
Stock, 36mm cv carbs right, wheel maybe 90-100
crank add 15%
just a guess
-Karl

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good question, KJ1's probably right, if we're lucky.
I bet someone out there has an old issue of some bike mag with a 750 shootout in it for us.

I just checked Dynojet's web site and they have a chart with a high of what looks like about 89HP stock and 95HP with a jet kit. The two lines are almost on top of each other until the stock one hits its' high, then the jetted one keeps going. Also, way at the bottom, the jetted one has a much nicer line.

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
you what sucks bigtime? a couple years before I started this site I had a moto mag collection from 1986 up! I had almost every issue from the top US mags

but what did I do? I tossed almost every single one out

Why? because the Ms. was moving in with me

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just looked it up in an old Performance Bikes from way back (good English motorcycle mag, in case you didn't know) and they've tested it at 86 BHP at 10.500 rpm (which isn't the same as HP) and 46 ft-lbs at 9.500 rpm at the rear wheel.
I don't know the ratio from BHP to HP but I believe it's in the low nineties.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies. i didnt expect to get answers in the mid 80's heh. on my old car the dif was about 18% between wheel and crank. for some reason i figured bikes would be a lot lower %

what kind of hp increase are we talking with an exhaust?
hindle competition plus specificly ?

been curious bout these #'s since i got the bike.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Bikes ae funny, I am asuming you rejetted your carbs, full race exhaust will probably get you any where from 5 to 15 more ponies, another way to free up some ponies out of your motor would be to change out the carbs
some direct no hassle swaps would be
89-92 gsxr 750 38mm cv carbs
or 90-92 gsxr 1100 40mm cv carbs (canada got these we got 36mm in the states)
The cv's would be more streetable than flat slides, not to mention cheaper.
-Karl

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually about the jetting, i wouldnt know. had the pipe on the bike when i got it. and i dont know if the carb is stock. its a mikuni (i have heard from various people that is stock, and others its aftermarket)
im new to the whole carb scene anyways, all my experiance has been on EFI cars =)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've just remembered, I was talking to a guy two days ago with an '88 with stock carbs, a jet kit, K&N's, and full stainless pipe who had recently dyno-ed his bike and said he got 100 on the nose. I didn't ask if he had an ignition advance on it, but he might have because he had polished engine covers (he had polished everything). I don't know if he had any internal mods. It was in semi-Streetfighter trim.

G

·
0 Posts
Here's a dyno run off my old 88 GSXR 750 race bike. It had a yosh duplex pipe and stage 1 jet kit. I hated the powerband because of the dip, I never could get it to run just right even after many hours on the dyno.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey jayson heres the dyno chart on my bike. You got your liscence yet?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had an 88 750. Vance & hines exhaust, stage 3, k & n filters, ignition advancer +3 on the back sproket. I had it dyno'd and it hit 94 at the rear wheel, but really it was more like 92 because dyno after dyno it was around 92 more than 94. It only hit 94 once out of 6 times. Wish I still had that one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by Jayson:
[QB]how much hp does a stock one of these bikes have

I have a '88 UK model 750J. When I bought it, it had Yoshi Duplex down pipes, carbon race can, standard carbs, and a K & N air filter. I took it to a very good race shop called Hobbsport in Yorkshire, having fitted a Factory Pro carb kit myself. They took about 3-4 hours to set it up on the dyno and eventually it was making 103bhp at the back wheel. They said at the time, it was one of the sweetest Slingshot engines they had worked on. Since then I have gone down 1 tooth on the front sprocket. Last year at an RAF airfield track day, a Fireblade owner came up to me and said that on the straight he couldn't gain on me, though don't know what model he was on at the time. I would suggest that the chap above who is only chucking out 92 - 94 bhp has some problems, after all the mods he has done.
PS Have you ever picked up a standard exhaust system for this bike. It weighs a ton, ditch it for a 4 - 1 and literally feel the difference.

Later, Steve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts