Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all in Central KY, Bell's Suzuki sucks ass. I'm sick of dealing with them. Minus like two people, the crew there are soo snobbish. Must be my antique they hate to deal with.

ANYWAY: I'm working on a fork seal replacement job, and having my bike down (up on saw horses) for more than a week is killing me.

My Bandit bud is helping me tackle the seals, and after we pounded for a half hour on the seal, we dropped back and punted, took them to the local Gixxer shop!

I sent my wife, because Sat is out of the question in that shop (busy, go away). I called ahead and explained the problem with 'dropping' in the new seals, can they check the #'s and the forks for oddities....sure, send her in....

After making my wife stand by the counter for a half hour while Dude typed on his computer, he graced us with his knowlege. Not. After 20min, and my wife pointing out the new/old seals, he was clueless, he 'discovers' they don't fit.

I bought the seals from them a week or so earlier, "88 GSX-R750 Seals, Covers" that do not fit my bike. Well.......I must have different forks. I'm the 4th (+?) owner as far as I know. But they couldn't tell me what seals are needed for it?? Are they not a bike SHOP?

HELP: Old seals say - (two different ones, nice) - Japan DR3 43 55 9.5 - 10.5 ARUSU
AND - NTK 6636 TCL 43 55.1 9.5 10.5

New seals say - 43-LO NOK 0000000000 BR1922G

Why the shop couldn't figure out the needed seals while HOLDING the old seals, I have no clue. Seams to make sense that I need some 43 - 9.5 - 10.5's, right?

Any idea what beast donated it's forks for my Black Betty?

I've already excluded my local Honda shop from my money for parts (ATV) I can get elswhere at near half price, mail order's not that bad after all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops, the old #'s list are actually the new ones. So vica vera on the old new info.

sorry, picked up the wrong seal during this mornings rant.

·
Registered
68 Posts
save yourself some money.... skip the dealer

go to a seal shop... yes they do exist, show them the old seal... and i bet u will have a new set for less than $20 bucks.

If u can't find a seal shop.... go to a bearing supply place, most of them deal with seals as Well as bearings.

#'s on the seals are sizes (in mm). I believe it is O.D I.d Thickness. And most fork seals are just double liped oil seals.

If there is a dust boot, that would probaly be a dealer item.

weas

[ 08-15-2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Da Weas ]

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Post a picture of the forks and maybe one of the eagle eyes on this site can identify. Troy 341

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad news at every corner. Went to several fork seal web sites, and explained as above, with all the numbers on old and new seals.... two have replied that I need to know the bike the forks came off of. They also suggested asking Racetech in CA for their wisdom.
Makes me wish I bought that set of forks on ebay in early spring, before I thought I'd do this work myself. They were less than 2bills. Hell I got 200 in missed work, my wife and my trouble, friends trouble....emails...
How hard can it be to match Gixxer seals. Haven't I read that TONS of parts are interchangeable from zuk to zuk, year to year? Guess I'll try the hydraulic - bearing shop down the road next. With a micrometer, they should find a close match huh?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's try this again,

Old seals coming out: 43-LO NOK 0(x10) BR1922G
I've mic'ed the dim's: 10.8mm tall, 43mm in dim, 54.3mm out dim.

These are apparently not the seals for an original 88 GSX-R750.

Can anyone match these numbers to their seals, possibly from a larger bike's forks, or smaller? Bandit? different year than 88?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in info just in:

1994 GSX-R750 has 43x54x11 which may be what yours are Sounds like the
forks have been changed on your m/c
We have part # 401-90151 in stock $9.95 per pair.

This info is from Flanders Company.

should I jump on them? or wait out a second opinion, hell I'm getting them. Got to RIDE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts