Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'88 1100 clutch

I crashed it last summer and havn't ridden it since. After putting a new used front end and other parts on it. The original clutch which was undamaged doesn't work. It's full of fluid, I tried bleeding it but that didn't change anything. It's low on clutch fluid now. I'll go to the library after school and see what a troubleshooting book can tell me. Can I just use brake fluid for this hydralic clutch?
1988 gsx-r 1100

·
3,482 Posts
Re: \'88 1100 clutch

Check the bleeder screw.....if it has been overtightened the hole could be crushed.....makes it nearly impossible to bleed. Drove me crazy once. If that's OK and you still have trouble use a hand vacuum pump.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

I dunno why but everytime my bike sits for a long while (say 3-4 months) the clutch needs to be re-bled. Also, the fluid comes out waaay too dirty, seems like the seals cant seal with the dirty fluid, once new fluid is in, it works perfect all the time....

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts

yeah, use brake fluid for the clutch and it just probably has air and needs to be bled. bleeding the clutch can be a bitch.

it's best to have a friend help out while you open and close the bleeder screw.

·
Registered
800 Posts

I use a tool called a 'Mity-Vac', It sucks DOT 3 Brake fluid thru the master into the Slave Cylinder, out the slave and into a resivor. You then throw the old stuuff away.
The Engine has a tendency to heat the clutch fluid, because ithe slave is mounted on the
engine. So, you will see a color change, to a darker tint.
This tool is GREAT for bleeding brakes, too!
So, Flush, fill and flush again!
Then, if your having problems, get back to me!
Regards~ Jim 'Old guy with the ol bike! *88
s Rule!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts