Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\'87 GSXR 1100 questions, carbs and more

A friend has an '87 1100, was sitting for 2 yrs. pulled carbs to clean and found inner right cylinder, I believe #3 (on right sitting on the bike) had fair amount of oil sitting in intake port. other cylinders were fine. I'm I right in assuming it's a bad valve seal or could it be something else? Is this common for this model? Is it just a matter of rebiulding the head? Are the parts readily available? The bike has approx. 41K for mileage. He's had the bike serviced every year and had valves adjusted yearly as well.
We are talking about doing a trade, the '87 Gixxer for an '88 K75 BMW I have. The gixxer is mostly stock, has a Vance and Hines pipe, its in fair condition. Anyone care to give a ball park figure on the gixxer? Book on my bike is about $4000
If we do the deal, I'm interested the most common upgrades done to an '87 1000, as far as suspension and performance go. Just looking for ideas. And how is the handling on these bikes? I have a newer sport bikes, but how do these compare?
Thanks for any and all input
BCM

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Re: \'87 GSXR 1100 questions, carbs and more

I would crank the engine over with the plugs out.
If every thing seems normal, clean the carbs & also change the float needles, clean the plugs & fire her up if she smoking get it hot & see the smoking clears up.

These bikes do not compare to modern bikes at all.
But you can make them pretty damn fast. Sort of like the muscle cars of the 60s as like today's cars.

Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for reply Mike, we turned it over and the oil drained in to the cylinder so I'm sure it will smoke at first, the owner said he never noticed smoke , he's a neighbor, very good at keeping up on things, never beat on it, just wondering about the oil though, is that a bad valve guide? Any recomendation on which pod type air filters to run? stock air box was damaged on removal.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

I also have an 87-11. I use the K&N individual filters with the chrome end cap. You can get into a jetting nightmare without a jet kit. But they can be jetted without a kit. These older bikes are a blast to own and ride. Do the trade. I recently was offered 5000 for mine. [its not for sale] Thats almost as much as I paid for it new. [5200 plus taxes] .The dealer had 4 of them at that price. I wish I could have bought them all..lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Rogerlee, what, if any suspension upgrades have you done?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Rogerlee, what, if any suspension upgrades have you done?
I still run the stock forks and shock, but they both have had the oil changed several times and the rear shock regassed. It works fine for me as this bike has never seen the track, only the street.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts