Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soon to swap out my stock front end on my 87 7/11 for an 89 1100 to get the 17" wheels. I am going to also put the 1100's rear wheel on as well. Should I use the whole swing arm and wheel, or can I just bolt up the wheel to my stock rear set up? What all has to be done? What is easiest?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
The rear wheel should just pop right in if you're in a hurry to ride those 17" hoops. Just double check the diameter of the rear rotor, axle spacers, and any other parts that might need aligning or "tweaking" before you finish torquing all the nuts/bolts down.

I'm not hip to the '89 swingarm/shock/linkage to know if that'll pop in. I couldn't be too different from my '86 7/11 project with a '94 1100 swingarm.(famous last words) That took a couple of thin spacers but it might have been me being anal about tolerances.

Have a good weekend tinkering

·
Registered
434 Posts
just finished putting an 89-92 style swing arm on my 86 750 which would be almost identical to your 1100 except for wheel base. The arms fit between the frame rails no problem may have to shim the thrust washers, but the linkage is different so you need to make some linkage bits allong with probably some bushings as the forward pivot axle was smaller in dia than the later model arm and you cannot fit the 94/95 braced style if you want the battery to stay where it is and you might have to make a new shock mount for that style. If you want more detailed info on what I did I can post it the improvement in handling is a lot and will just about become mandatory if you stiffen the front and rear spring rates as the swing arm just bends. Tested my 86 750 arm and its a peice of junk compared to the later 89-92 syle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts