Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i am looking at a set of forks from an 87 1100 slabbie for my 85 750. I know the yokes will fit but were the forks a different size to the 750? I want to use them on the track, are they worth revalving etc or would i be better off with slingshot forks?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I would stick with slingshot forks. The 1100 forks are the same as the 750 but longer (they have damper rods not cartridges). They all suck.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
yeah i realize my post sounds harsh but i meant to say that 1100 and 750 1st gen forks are both non-adjustable damper rod forks and both suck equally. The axle diameter is small 15mm (though bigger 17mm on some of them) and they have anti-dive which was a bad idea at the time and has not gotten better with age.

Plus the first gen forks have 85mm caliper mounting bolt centers (which is shared with exactly no other bikes except pre-97 Katana).

Slingshot forks, even the early ones, get you almost infinite caliper selection, easy 17-inch wheel conversion, compression and rebound-adjustable damper rods, 20mm axle, larger-dia sliders, etc.

That said I'm seriously considering using early forks on my other bike because i have a cool billet triple for them and because it's a vintage racer and I like the idea of keeping it vintage-looking (though the slingshot forks are more or less what people were running back then in superbike).

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
I think the axle size is different on the 87 1100 compared to the 85 750. If it is you'll need to change the bearings in the 750 wheel. There is also a difference in the spring wieght which is actually better for track use. And then there is the electric anti dive which should be blocked off anyway. But as noted above, the better bet is with the Slingshot forks.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
for track use; i highly recommend going with 17" wheels and either 88-90 43mm forks or 91-92 750 USD forks. go with the 750 showa.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
In order to query parts, you'll need the lil red ''R"
Once you have that, i can direct you to a member who has the forks you are seeking.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I think the axle size is different on the 87 1100 compared to the 85 750. If it is you'll need to change the bearings in the 750 wheel. There is also a difference in the spring wieght which is actually better for track use. And then there is the electric anti dive which should be blocked off anyway. But as noted above, the better bet is with the Slingshot forks.
I learned the hard way that the 86 1100 forks are machined for 15mm axles
87-88 1100 forks are machined for 17mm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys thanks for that, i'll steer clear of the 1100 forks. I have an other question though, the forks i have fitted are slingshot items but are in a poor state pitting and breaking out into surface rust etc, also the compression damper screws are siezed. I want to put the bike on the track but dont think its worth while spending the money on these forks due to their condition. I also have an SRAD 600 race bike, question is can i mont the SRAD forks and yokes onto my 85 750 slabbie. Has anyone done this and how much of a pain is it?

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
The bearings are different so you'll have to press out the stem on the current clamps and have it pressed into the SRAD clamps. I think the diameter is different so you'll need a bushing to make it all fit. Better off just to buy another set of Slingshot forks or USD's.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
i purchased an 86 750 race bike and it had 01-03 600 front end. worked well, but since i have other first gen trackbikes, i wanted to be able to swap parts and converted to 94 750 usd forks.

yeah, the steering bearings will have to be replaced along with the races.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
86gixxer Any idea how they did it before you got hold of it. Is it standard yolks with the stem pressed into the lower as stated above or is it the standard yolks etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts