Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an 86GSXR sittin in my garage for a year now and have gotten no where with it because of lack of good info. It only has 4k on the bike and has sat for much of its life. Paid $750-USD It also came with the Fat 1100 suspension off of what year I dont know. Everything Looks in great shape.
The carbs that came with the bike were shot and were aftermarket race mikuni's and parts were no longer sold for them.
I found a set of carbs that I was told were off of a 89 GSXR 1100 and installed them.
The bike came with no air box and has single K&N filters. I dont plan on replacing the spendy Air Box.
The only thing I know about the new carbs is the Numbers "48B11" and "E7Z1". I searched for the model number for every year of GSXR and cant find the above numbers anywhere. Nightmare!!!

The bike barely runs now, Has good compression and all else is good as well, (I am a Auto mechanic).
-------------------------------------------
My Quesion is: Can anyone tell me what these carbs are off of and why they do not have the "normal" Mikuni numbers on them. Any other info on them would be greatly appreciated.
-------------------------------------------------
All I want to do is get them jetted ballpark and running half ass before I take it to the dyno and start messin with it. I am this close to gettin a Haltech and goin EFI.... GRRRRRRR

Thanks
GregW

·
Registered
434 Posts
check with pro-flow they are the mikuni guys they also have a web site. You will find a lot of parts available for the carbs still.

·
Registered
354 Posts
look real close to see if there are any #'s or letter's stamped in black on either outside carb

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K just went out and looked again (fargin cold out there, Minnesota)anyway I looked everywhere and there is no numbers or letter other than "48B11" and "E7Z1". I did measure the slides and the id of the engine side 3.4CM or 34mm. Small jet is 32.5 pilot is 112.5. I got the carbs all tore down so I was able to check everywhere. Please, any info will help.
GregW

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Check around town and see if you can have someone do a Dyno tune..."shade tree" jetting will get you close but a Dyno tune will show you what works properly. Down here in Wisconsin there a couple of places that charge the going rate for a Dyno run to do a Dyno tune...$35/hr...hard to beat that.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
48B11 is the second half of a suzuki part number (indicating the model and year....the first half indicates the type of part).

in this case, those carbs are off a 1989 gsx1100f katana, not a gsxr. what threw me off was that you measured the throat diameter at 34mm.....the 89 gsxr1100's (and all subsequent u.s. spec 1100's) used 36mm carbs. the only gsxr's that used 34mm carbs were the '87 750 and 86-88 1100's, and none of those carbs were 48B11....i did some part number checking and it turned out to be the katana carbs. they're very close to the 86-88 gsxr1100's, so you should be able to get them to run pretty well.....certainly MUCH better than the crap 31mm carbs that came stock on the '86 750.

it sounds like you're running a stage 3 setup (no airbox)......so your main jet is too lean. you'd need mains in the range of upper 120's to low 130's.

you could just spring for larger mains, or you can get a jet kit.....

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]</p>

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS! Dude, thank you sooooo much. I am now gonna start lookin into stage 3 or config 30 kits. Now at least I know what carbs I am talking about when I call.
Thanks a ton.
GregW

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
glad to be of help.

just as a note - the dynojet kits for the 88-93 katana 1100's are the exact same ones for the 86-88 gsxr1100's. factory pro, unfortunately, doesn't list a jet kit for either bike on their web site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts