Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the mistake of riding in the heat. Rode about 10 miles brought it home. Turned it off.
Started it again and started but shut down on it's
own. Now nothing turns on. Checked almost everything fuses,coils,battery, loose wires. There is no power going to anything.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
did you check the main fuse/breaker?(should be near the battery box)
did you oil light come on?
was it hard to start right after?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Karl 1052. I checked and replaced all fuses.
I've had the bike 5 years and never seen a low
oil light. Almost seems like something just went
dead but don't know what.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you check to see if the circuit breaker had popped as Karl suggested? Shoud be mounted under the batt box. If your getting nothing at all then I would check that first. Look to see if the red button has popped on it, if so reset it and try again. If it pops again then there's a problem somewhere else in the system.

If it's not popped then use a meter on the battery to insure it's fully charged. Also insure the main cables on the batt are tight and there is no corrosion on the batt terminals. If all that checks out then I'd move on to looking at the ignition switch.

This should have nothing to do with fuel delivery so don't sweat that until you've ruled out the electronics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, justice I'm going to take a look at that
tonite sounds like that's it. Might of been to hot
when it shut down.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Try throwing a battery charger on it (one with enough amps to crank it over). If it turns over, you can be confident the cause of "no power" was that your battery died. It happened to me before. I spent countless hours looking for an electrical problem that didn't exsist. It turned out my battery just died. I through the charger on and I got power. Bought a new battery, put it in and was good to go.

Like someone else mention, check your battery cables. If they are loose/corroded at either end, especially the pos cable, you will get nothing.

Checked for a pinch or cut/crossed wire from the ignition next. A conductivity probe works great. They are pretty cheep. It is a little tool that looks like a an ice pick with an alligator clip and wire coming out of the handle. Attach the clip to one end of the wire, or connection, and stick the probe into the other, if the light in the handle of the probe goes on, you know that wire is good to go. If it doesn't, you have just identified where at least one problem is located. It can be time consuming, but it is effective at narrowing down the location of your problem.

[ 08-19-2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: DevilDog ]

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I had a problem with my 1100 one time and it was the fuel petcock. It broke inside. I thought the gas was on. But it was off the whole time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all problem fixed.
Justice hit right on the nose. Pushed in the
red button and VROOOOOOOOOM.
Now does anyone want to buy 86 with 165 rear
wheel horsepower and in great condition ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you are correct Karl 1052 thanks.
I'm selling her cause I'm trying to get a
camper and do the family thing.
Great bike with whole lot of power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by alcrest:
Thanks to all problem fixed.
Justice hit right on the nose. Pushed in the
red button and VROOOOOOOOOM.
Now does anyone want to buy 86 with 165 rear
wheel horsepower and in great condition ??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Glad to hear it, but Karl gets the nod as he was the first to suggest it.

And yes I'd like to buy it but I'm lucky to be able to afford gas for my bike right now... No job=No money.

Why ya selling it if you don't mind my asking?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts