Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 86 750 that I'm finally getting around to upgrading the wheels, forks and swingarm to parts from a 91. I've got a couple questions.
1. Will the steering head bearings from the 91 triple clamp work on my 86?
2. I'd like to keep my Ohlins shock to work with the 91 swingarm. Does anybody know what kind of linkage mods need to be made? Can I do it?
3. The 91 swing arm is 1" shorter than the stock 86. That in conjunction with the new front end is going to really shorten up the wheelbase. How drastic is the handling change? I've got an idea what it's going to do, I'm just not sure how drastic the change will be.
Thanks for the help and opinions.
The rest looks pretty straight forward

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The Tripple clamps should bolt right on. as for the shock if it has a forked lower mount it will work as well. If it does not you will need to switch the lower mount (you can get the end from Ohlins.
Bones

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've heard the front end is a straight bolt on but you never know till you get into it. I was having nightmares about using a stock shock again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The '91 forks are a straight fit. Did it on my '86 750 and had no problems.
The shorter swingarm shouldn't be a big problem either 'cause the '85 750 had a 1.5" shorter swingarm as the '86. The main problem with the shorter '85 swingarm was stability but that will be resolved with the wider '91 wheels and tires (it did on mine).
Should be great for pulling wheelies though

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
The forks will work (check the steering stops) without a hitch.

Aside from the shock itself mounting to the '91 linkage, keep in mind the swingarm pivot bolt/bearings may be a different diameter ('91 may be larger) I tried a '94 1100 arm and the pivot bolt is too big to fit, unless I drilled the hole in the frame larger...but I didn't. I could switch the bearings or put a reducing sleeve in and use the stock pivot bolt...but...

The stock swingarm on my RG is a couple of pounds lighter. It might not be as stiff but I'll take less unsprung weight over machine shop time for the moment.

I think you should contact Mr Gixxer about the '91 swingarm...I think he did that same swap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, it's been useful. I got the front end bolted up and the only problem I've run into is the braided steel break lines from the 86' are too short for the 91' forks.
That surprised me a bit. I'm going to have to run the stock 91' rubber lines till I can get new braided ones made. Oh, and the break fluid resivour hits the upper fairing mount but that's no biggy. I'm going to see if the 91' rear wheel will fit with the stock 86' swing arm tomorrow but I seem to remember somebody saying I'll need to make a new spacer. If anybody has a picture of thier 86' with a 91' swingarm (how the linkage goes) I'd be interested in seeing it. I'm going to have to get some new parts for the Ohlins shock before I do the swingarm and it'd be nice to have a visual idea how the linkage will work. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by Homey:
I'm going to see if the 91' rear wheel will fit with the stock 86' swing arm tomorrow but I seem to remember somebody saying I'll need to make a new spacer
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The '91 wheel should fit just as easy as the forks. Did it on my '86 and didn't need any new spacers. I believe the story about new spacers goes for fitting the '91 front wheel in the '86 forks, other than that it's all pretty straight forward.

By the way, the original '86 swingarm is strong enough to cope with the power of a tuned 1100 engine, so if it's too much trouble you can allways stick with the original.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right, the 91' wheel bolts right on. Looks like thats the way it's going to be for a while till I figure out how to fit the swingarm and still use my 86' Ohlins shock. I measured the Ohlins and it's about an inch shorter than the 91' shock plus the linkage is different. It doesn't appear that it will bolt to the 86' frame mount.
It looks like I'm going to have to have that piece made unless somebody knows of an alterative? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts