Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Nice ride! I am doing a similar project on an 87 750, but trying to keep it as original as possible. Being 30 odd years old , I have replaced every seal and bearing (which I didn't plan on!). Is that a super sprox sprocket on the back there by the way?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice ride! I am doing a similar project on an 87 750, but trying to keep it as original as possible. Being 30 odd years old , I have replaced every seal and bearing (which I didn't plan on!). Is that a super sprox sprocket on the back there by the way?
yep, supersprox. I was going to keep it original, but decided I wanted wider tires for the track and much easier to have new ones at the track by our Dunlop guy with 17s. Ordered Spiegler braided lines and spocket cover / clutch slave cylinder are being powder coated.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Nice! I went the same way with super sprox and wezmoto braided lines. I couldn’t get original discs , but ended up getting some from a place called Metal Gear in Brisbane Australia. They are floating discs , but look very similar to OEMs. Good luck with your bike👍

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice! I went the same way with super sprox and wezmoto braided lines. I couldn’t get original discs , but ended up getting some from a place called Metal Gear in Brisbane Australia. They are floating discs , but look very similar to OEMs. Good luck with your bike👍
I have a couple guys that race slabbies sending me front brake caliper templates to accomodate the 17 front so I can finally get it mounted.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
very nice to see first gens being ridden at the track. bike appears to be in good shape.

are you going to fit a 17inch front wheel to the stock 86 front end? i found it easier to just install to a complete 1991-1995 gsxr 750 upside front end. makes life easier, the front end is period correct, and it is all original suzuki.

the 17 inch rear wheel fitment is straight-forward, though. are you able to get increased ride height with the R1 shock? increasing the rear ride height is probably the best adjustment/mod to these first gen 750's. makes drastic handling improvements; the bike will turn much better! i've done all of these mods on my first gens, and have no regrets.

keep up the good work. thanks for the fotos.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
very nice to see first gens being ridden at the track. bike appears to be in good shape.

are you going to fit a 17inch front wheel to the stock 86 front end? i found it easier to just install to a complete 1991-1995 gsxr 750 upside front end. makes life easier, the front end is period correct, and it is all original suzuki.

the 17 inch rear wheel fitment is straight-forward, though. are you able to get increased ride height with the R1 shock? increasing the rear ride height is probably the best adjustment/mod to these first gen 750's. makes drastic handling improvements; the bike will turn much better! i've done all of these mods on my first gens, and have no regrets.

keep up the good work. thanks for the fotos.
Have been in contact with a couple 86 gsxr racers that have been a great help. Have custom captive spacers on the way for the front 17 to be used with current forks (15 mm axle) and caliper bracket templates. Will post more as as I progress. Always looking for input.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts